6 gallon concentrate to 6 1-gallon batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then if that's your mind set your correct, it's the correct way to proceed.making a correct 1 gallon batch with the down size proportions are not as easy as you think while the 1 gallon kits add that balance and you need to say within the process

In regards to making 6 1-gallon batches rather than a 1 6-gallon batch, I have pretty much abandoned that idea - at least in the short term.

So have you decided to do a 6 gallon batch or staying with the 1 gallon batch?

The only issue I've had doing smaller batches is that some measurements get really small for adding to your wine. Example Reduless is a additive to get rid of a H2S smell and taste. For a one gallon batch treatement you have to weight out .5 grams and to do that you need a digital scale. Not a big deal but it's something to consider but... Here's hoping you don't ever need to use Reduless.

I'm gradually scaling up but still staying below those 5 and 6 gallon batches - All my wines are fruit wines and I just don't drink that much wine. Waiting for my 3 gallon carboys to arrive today and each will give me 15 bottles of wine. For my family and friends that's plenty.

Best wishes whichever route you take.

So have you decided to do a 6 gallon batch or staying with the 1 gallon batch?

The only issue I've had doing smaller batches is that some measurements get really small for adding to your wine. Example Reduless is a additive to get rid of a H2S smell and taste. For a one gallon batch treatement you have to weight out .5 grams and to do that you need a digital scale. Not a big deal but it's something to consider but... Here's hoping you don't ever need to use Reduless.

I'm gradually scaling up but still staying below those 5 and 6 gallon batches - All my wines are fruit wines and I just don't drink that much wine. Waiting for my 3 gallon carboys to arrive today and each will give me 15 bottles of wine. For my family and friends that's plenty.

Best wishes whichever route you take.

**I have decided on a 1 gallon size to start. I have been thinking I will do as you are doing (3 gallons or so size) eventually and for the same reason as you. I do have a digital scale accurate to 3 decimal places that reads in lbs oz or kg grams. Wasn't considering using it until you mentioned it.

Yes, I picked a scale up for $12.00 and spent almost as much on the calibration weight required to keep it accurate. There were lots of scales to chose from all between $10.00 to $40.00 that were good enough for these small quantities.

Keep us all posted on your progress. By the way I caught the 3 gallon Carboys on a deal for free shipping. Shipping is a killer from some sites, running as much as $10 - $12.00 per carboy. 1 Gallon or 4 liter carboys are easy to come by at my local recycling center. I've gathered about 12 or more so far. (Lost count) Same for wine bottles, never buy them when I can get them free at the same place. Takes me no more than about 3-5 mins per bottle to clean off labels and get them ready for use.

Yes, I picked a scale up for $12.00 and spent almost as much on the calibration weight required to keep it accurate. There were lots of scales to chose from all between $10.00 to $40.00 that were good enough for these small quantities.

Keep us all posted on your progress. By the way I caught the 3 gallon Carboys on a deal for free shipping. Shipping is a killer from some sites, running as much as $10 - $12.00 per carboy. 1 Gallon or 4 liter carboys are easy to come by at my local recycling center. I've gathered about 12 or more so far. (Lost count) Same for wine bottles, never buy them when I can get them free at the same place. Takes me no more than about 3-5 mins per bottle to clean off labels and get them ready for use.

Thanks for the tips, Scooter. The scale I have was used as a scale for mailing letters and packages. I calibrate it occasionally and it is always very accurate. I think I have a recycling center in Beaumont. I will give them a call later. Have a great day!

Latest posts

Back