Replacing Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
I bottled our CC Trio last night using our floor corker and some synthetic corks. Haven't used these corks before and when finished noticed they were leaking slightly.

After some Google time I discovered these corks are not to be used with a floor corker. It appears the corker will scratch the cork during insertion and you will end up with a leak. Bummer!

Anyway, I'm picking up some conventional corks today and plan on replacing my leakers tonight.

Any words of wisdom when replacing corks? This wine is the best I've ever made and I sure do not want to trash it by fumbling with corks.

If you can't use a floor corker, what type of corker do they recommend for those synthetics?

Since the current corks are leaking, they should come out easily. Just pop them out and put a new one immediately back in.

I know many folks have used synthetic corks with an Italian floor corker with out any issues. I believe it's only the Portuguese floor corker that seems to scratch them.

I know many folks have used synthetic corks with an Italian floor corker with out any issues. I believe it's only the Portuguese floor corker that seems to scratch them.

Apparently both corkers will do this to some very specific synthetic corks.

I had ran out of corks when I started to bottle (I know, I know...) so I picked some up from a local shop. All they had were some unmarked synthetics but I figured these would get me through until I got some more of my usual ones. Anyway, these unknown synthetics "seep".

Some of the online shops have warnings regarding their synthetics which state not to use "either" floor corker for scratch concerns. They recommend a hand operated corker and suggest you bring a friend to hold the bottle... really!

Anyway, I plan on spritzing the bottle with ethanol prior to pulling the existing cork, hitting it with a small shot of argon, and replacing the cork. If anyone has any better ideas I'd appreciate them sharing.... :a1

I use synthetic corks with my floor corker with no issues.

I use synthetic corks with my floor corker with no issues.

So do I and I've never had a problem. However, I never used this brand before. Unfortunately I don't know the brand.

tha's a corker

some manufactures of non cork products are a little larger in diameter than the standard #9,this is part of a series I'm:tz doing on corks ,when good wines gone bad,tune in....................:ib

some manufactures of non cork products are a little larger in diameter than the standard #9,this is part of a series I'm:tz doing on corks ,when good wines gone bad,tune in....................:ib

I noticed this was the case with these. It took more force on the corker to compress the cork. They did insert without any notable differences.

Corks

If you can keep an eye out ,when good wines gone bad, ugly doing a whole series CORKS the do's and don'ts. :ftS

Latest posts

Back