What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a digital meat probe of any kind? Even a cheap one ($10) will help you know when to pull the meat off and not over cook it which is what dry's it out.

Still need to manage the moist, chicken and chops were still dehydrated a bit and not as soft/juice as I wanted, but hey everyone starts somewhere....

How long did you cook for? Chicken will take longer usually esp breast (very thick). Bones can also suck up heat and make chicken cook slower. Pork Chops can be done real fast depending on the cook temp.

Not yet.
I started with a very hot grill, then closed like vents like 3/4 and kept the temp in the 250F or so.

Maybe like an hour or actually more.
:sh:sh:sh

That might be your problem. 250 is a little low for "grilling" but I would think if that is what your temp was and never got any higher you should have been able to cook the chops in 15-20 mins tops and the Chicken in 30-40 mins tops. If the fire went higher (hotter) that would certainly cut your cook time down.

Also you want to leave your vents open slightly otherwise your going to choke out your fire. Your bottom and top need to be dampened but not closed unless you are trying to put out your fire (done cooking and want to save your charcoal for another cook)

Right, I didn't closed the vents completely but left them slightly open, both top and bottom, hence the temp went down. When I started the grill and it went full speed with the vents open the temp reached the 500F mark.

This is the only thing that would get me up at 5:30AM on my Friday off. Perfect day to smoke. 10lb (trimmed) Prime Brisket from Costco. Using Franklins secret brisket rub. Pecan and Apple on top of lump charcoal. 250F dome temp = 225F grate temp. BFF's coming over for dinner.

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Right, I didn't closed the vents completely but left them slightly open, both top and bottom, hence the temp went down. When I started the grill and it went full speed with the vents open the temp reached the 500F mark.

That was boneless chicken, right? Hot and fast. 450-ish is good.

Create a two zone fire: Put your coals on one side of the grill. That way, if you get flare ups, you have a safe zone. Sear the meat over the coals for a few minutes on each side. Then (if it isn't already done), move over to the safe zone to finish.

Anyone who's shows up for dinner won't be turned away! LOL Pulled just now after 10 hour cook time. Internal temp hit 200F on the meat, I unwrapped the butcher paper for a pic and then wrapped in foil and into the styrofoam cooler it went to rest until dinner time. Might have to dig around in the cellar for a big gun (or two) if this thing turned out half as good as I think it did. Its fall apart tender trying to pick it up off the grill and put it into foil. I think it might be a keeper!

IMG_2497.jpg

Still need to manage the moist, chicken and chops were still dehydrated a bit and not as soft/juice as I wanted, but hey everyone starts somewhere....

A saltwater brine for a few hours (google time/lb I've only smoked whole birds) solves a lot of dehydration issues.

Traditional pizza day, only problem is it was raining too hard to stop and buy a pre-made crust (seriously, it was raining "buckets"). So went home and made a batch of dough, but it was 3 pm...I usually make the night before so I was worried how it would turn out.

Cooked in a 450*F oven using the convection setting. Turned out pretty well, a bit chewy for me. Made one GF pizza for the GF kid with a premade crust. One for the general public, part with cheese only, part with pepperoni, part with red pepper from the garden and pepperoni. Mine had sauce made from the garden tomatoes a few nights ago, fresh garlic, red onion, fresh tomato, red pepper, a mixture of mozzarella and provolone, extra oregano, some shaker red pepper and some fat boy anchovies. Yummmers!

Hopefully hitting BJs tomorrow to forage for something to smoke on Sunday.

8-18-17_pizza-1.JPG

8-18-17_pizza-2.JPG

8-18-17_pizza-3.JPG

Anyone who's shows up for dinner won't be turned away! LOL Pulled just now after 10 hour cook time. Internal temp hit 200F on the meat, I unwrapped the butcher paper for a pic and then wrapped in foil and into the styrofoam cooler it went to rest until dinner time. Might have to dig around in the cellar for a big gun (or two) if this thing turned out half as good as I think it did. Its fall apart tender trying to pick it up off the grill and put it into foil. I think it might be a keeper!

I'll be there as soon as we get the technology that can "beam" me there in a second or so. Beam me to Mike's, Scotty...

Latest posts

Back