WineXpert Red kit question (Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot or something else?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJP

Reaction score
I'm looking for a full bodied Red that has very little astringency. I have about 22 months before a pretty important family event. I'd like to make a nice kit that we can open at the party.

After a ton of reading, I'm debating the Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot and leaving a little of the initial oak out and not using the sorbate.

All +/- comments about this wine or recommendations for another are appriciated.

We really don't like the strongly astringent wines (I think this is the over the top tannins). We also like a wine with a nice fruity aroma.

Let me know,
Thanks
AJ

BTW: I'm loving this site, there is a crazy amount of great info here!

Last edited:
I'm looking for a full bodied Red that has very little astringency. I have about 22 months before a pretty important family event. I'd like to make a nice kit that we can open at the party.

After a ton of reading, I'm debating the Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot and leaving a little of the initial oak out and not using the sorbate.

All +/- comments about this wine or recommendations for another are appriciated.

We really don't like the strongly astringent wines (I think this is the over the top tannins). We also like a wine with a nice fruity aroma.

Let me know,
Thanks
AJ

BTW: I'm loving this site, there is a crazy amount of great info here!

AJ, in my opinion, the SLM is an excellent choice for your purposes, and a pretty darn good kit wine 2 years down the road (I have 5 bottles @ 2.5 years, and 30 just reaching 2). I believe that if you follow the instructions, but leave out the sorbate, you will have what you're looking for. I've not found the SLM to be particularly tannic / astringent, though we all perceive these tastes and sensations differently.

FWIW, the initial oak, while it does add some tannins, I believe to be important for color preservation (it binds your color, as well as some other desirable functions).

How about Pinot Noir? I've made this one and it is great!
http://www.winexpert.com/wine?brand[]=530&keywords=Sonoma%20Valley%20Pinot%20Noir&v=list&p=details

I pulled the trigger on the kit.

I have some general questions that I'll ask in a new thread.

Thanks all,
AJ

Good for you! The Stags Leap Merlot is pretty popular on here. I've only done a few kits, mainly focusing my efforts on seasonal grapes.
Bottling the WE SavBlanc Rosè and WE Pinot now. I'll be bottling my WE Bravado in a few months. And the Stags Leap Merlot has been without a doubt 100% next on the list.

Good for you! The Stags Leap Merlot is pretty popular on here. I've only done a few kits, mainly focusing my efforts on seasonal grapes.
Bottling the WE SavBlanc Rosè and WE Pinot now. I'll be bottling my WE Bravado in a few months. And the Stags Leap Merlot has been without a doubt 100% next on the list.

AJ,

Don't wait, LabelPeelers has a great price on the kit!

AJ :h

I need some help from the forum.

I have the Merlot sitting at 2nd fermentation. The SG is .999, this is it's 10th day in 2nd fermentation (I've held it at 71F the entire time).

The next step is stabilizing/clearing, then it says to wait 8 days and rack / clarify.
Then wait 28 days.

All is going well, except in 7 days from now, I've got to leave town for 3 weeks. Nobody will be available to do the next step.

Should I just rack it to a clean carboy before I leave and do the stabilizing/clearing step when I return in a month.

Or, should I do the stabilizing/clearing step and leave it sit that way for the month?

I have some oak spirals in French/Med Toast that i plan to use instead of the oak cubes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

Those days specified are "ballpark" anyway. If it were mine, id just rack before the trip into a clean carboy and let it ride.
Worry about clearing/degassing/stabilizing later. A lot of people skip clearing agents anyway since time will do that for you.
Normally I'd think to add the k-meta at the racking, but I'd want to try and let that .999 drop a little lower during this time. It's all fair game though. You may get many conflicting responses, And none are "wrong".

First - 0.999 is pretty sweet. You should consider giving your wine a good stir once every couple days. Wait, till your wine gets down around .0.992-ish. Then rack, dose with kmeta and clarifier (if you want), top it up and put it under an air lock...

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the kit instructions say that when sg<=.998 to stabilize/clear.

So I guess the safe bet is to wait until the end of the week and just rack into a clean carboy.
It should be near dry by then and be safe for a few weeks.

Make sense?

AJ

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the kit instructions say that when sg<=.998 to stabilize/clear.

So I guess the safe bet is to wait until the end of the week and just rack into a clean carboy.
It should be near dry by then and be safe for a few weeks.

Make sense?

AJ

Agree. Were it my wine; I'd rack in the next few days, top up, and forget about it until I got back.

Agree. Were it my wine; I'd rack in the next few days, top up, and forget about it until I got back.

Thanks, instead of topping up, I suppose it would be fine to put one of the oak spirals in.

That would let the oak work while I'm away and I wouldn't need to top up with another wine.

??

Thanks,
AJ

Not to muddy the water, but Winexpert kits generally advise NOT to rack at the completion of secondary fermentation. They believe retaining some sediment helps the clarifier do a better job of clearing. Check the instructions, but usually they recommend adding the chemicals, clarifier, and any oak cubes included I the kit while degassing in the same carboy.
I usually skip the sorbate and top up with a similar style wine. Then it's no problem...even good...to give it time while you are away to clear before racking to polish. The kit instructions are letting us know the earliest time the wine can be bottled, not necessarily the best time to bottle. At this point, the wine can sit for an extended period without any ill effects. I usually wait three weeks to rack it off the remaining settled lees left over from secondary fermentation (because I left them intentionally, per the instructions). This would be right about the time you get back.
Now, this topped up, sealed by air lock carboy can can rest a long time before bottling. The chief concern with extended aging in the carboy is maintaining adequate sulfite levels. There are rules of thumb that can be used...like 1/4 tsp KMeta every three months...or you an test for it if you have equipment to do so. Usually the instructions recommend the addition of an additional 1/4 tsp at this finally racking if any bulk aging is being considered.
Ultimately, whether you rack or not is probably of less consequence than assuring fermentation is complete before proceeding to the next step. If the SG has not stabilized...it's still dropping prior to your departure...it might be best to do nothing. Just let it sit and complete fermentation while you are gone. That might be a better option than trying to stabilize and clear a wine that is still fermenting.

Latest posts

Back