What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ribeye cap steak in the sous vide at 128 for about 2 hours. Thunderstorms kept me inside so I gave it the cast iron treatment. Whipped up a little rub w/ some random ingredients: SPOG, oregano, thyme and a little smoked paprika. EVOO and butter in the very hot pan. When the steaks were off to rest, I put some zucchini and broccolini in the pan to sautée. And of course, the obligatory tots. Paired up with the best $8 wine out there: CC Grand Estates Cabernet.

IMG_5763.jpg

Last edited:
Only Jim's was fancy IMHO, I tried to go "fancy" and buy the Old El Paso "Bold" Stand Up Shells LOL

71-SnQzdTtL._SY355_.jpg

They were sealed in a box, then sealed in a metallic bag of sorts for extra protection. When opened every single shell was broken into multiple pieces.... :po

So we had basically tostada's and broken ones at that. :)

When we go the cheap taco route, we don't even try the shells. We buy a big bag of nachos and do it that way.

Not a fitting wine for that steak! LOL

Ribeye cap steak in the sous vide at 128 for about 2 hours. Thunderstorms kept me inside so I gave it the cast iron treatment. Whipped up a little rub w/ some random ingredients: SPOG, oregano, thyme and a little smoked paprika. EVOO and butter in the very hot pan. When the steaks were off to rest, I put some zucchini and broccolini in the pan to sautée. And of course, the obligatory tots. Paired up with the best $8 wine out there: CC Grand Estates Cabernet.

Was expecting it to be a rain-out today but nothing so far. Actually feels like summer for a change. A line of storms is about an hour away, so my choice of making a sauce/ragù from my garden tomatoes was probably a good call. I follow (pretty closely for me) a recipe from Gary Ibsen's The Great Tomato book, page 106 (if you have the book) from Joan Nielson. First image shows sweating the veges, second is adding the beef (yes, not ground fowl) and eventually red wine (added some Cab Sauv), last one was adding back in the fresh tomato sauce. Will have to cook down for a few more hours, so plan on drinking a few beverages and watching the extra moisture evaporate. Will serve with a salad, grilled green tomatoes and some home made garlic bread. Maybe even a few yellow waxed beans if I venture into the yard before the storms hit.

Edit: Yikes, watch what you wish for...tornado on the ground about 35 miles north of me. Intense line of storms will hit us within the hour. Guess I'll stay in the safety of my basement with a small cooler of beer :b

8-12-17-ragu-1.JPG

8-12-17-ragu-2.JPG

8-12-17-ragu-3.JPG

Last edited:
Cedar planked salmon and jasmine rice. Note: no vegetables were harmed during the preparation or consumption of this meal.

Hey, parsley is a vegetable!! :D

Your "No vegetables...." line made me snort. (We often use a similar construction, although it is usually "Much XXX was harmed...." XXX is usually "garlic" or "butter.")

I am not making it, but it looks like I am having:

• Moroccan red lentil stew
  • Saffron rice
  • focaccia bread
  • roasted root vegetables

Probably more, but I am not sure.

Edit: Ahh, the additional items were hummus, feta cheese, and a really spicy sauce.

Last edited:
We had a BBQ saturday night but I started friday afternoon with a homemade rub on a half a brisket. Put it in the smoker at 5:00 pm friday and cooked at about 200 till Noon on Saturday. Made a homemade BBQ sauce with all these ingredients and pot lucked the pasta and veggies and fruit. It's the longest smoke I've done so far and absolutely the best brisket I've made so far. Rub and Sauce from Adam Perry Lang recipes. Served with my 16 Pinot Rose and my 14 Pinot. Side note: I'm working kind of one handed today, those nice looking Henkel Knives hanging on the wall are about 15 years old now, sharpened and steeled regularly and they have, up until last night, never misbehaved or attacked me. I was cutting up tomatoes for tacos and somehow let my left thumb zig when it should have zagged. Luckily my bone and thumbnail stopped the blade. At least my respect level is back up to where it should be and no real serious damage was done, just real tender.
Mike

1before.JPG

After.JPG

Dinner.JPG

Sauce.JPG

Latest posts

Back