Packlab Vino Italiano Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
Started my 4-week kit today. I topped it off to 5.5 gallons instead of the recommended 6 gallons. A fair amount of reviews on Amazon suggested doing 5 gallons so I went with a middle number. My thinking is at 5.5 gallons I'll get a bit more body and I won't need to top off my 5 gallon carboy when I rack.

My only other alteration to the kit was I swapped out the provided yeast with Lalvin D47.

Any suggestions on how long to bulk age this kit? I'm thinking six months post fermentation before bottling.

All tips for this kit will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just took my hydrometer reading. 1.094. I hope that's not too high for this style. My kit's generic instructions say 1.080-1.090.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
Be careful of your fermentation temperature with D47 (59-68 degrees F)...the cooler the better for a white wine. Higher temperatures can lead to off flavors. Your hydrometer reading is going to be higher than expected because you did not dilute quite as much as the directions called for. I doubt it will really lead to much of an issue. Is this kit intended to make a dry Riesling or does it come with an f-pack?

No f-pack so I'm assuming a dry. I knew the SG would be higher from less dilution but I thought it'd still be under 1.090.

I didn't realize D47 liked it cool. Time to double check the Lalvin website and relocate my bucket.

I didn't realize D47 liked it cool. Time to double check the Lalvin website and relocate my bucket.

A cooler fermentation temperature would help overall as it's going to end up dry. Higher fermentation temperatures will cause the loss of some of the more volatile components in the wine, which can have a bigger impact for something like a white wine versus a red.

Fermenting happily away at the upper end of the yeast's range.

Latest posts

Back