Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some clusters are full others are like that. Could be a nutrient deficiency, not 100% sure. Remember I am trying to grow grapes in soil that looks like this.......

white-rock-overlook-park.jpg

Last edited:
I logged in back at the beginning of May saw your pictures and was totally shocked as I still had dead looking sticks in my backyard (and still do). Did you make it unscathed through May? Up here it was a pretty uneventful spring compared to last year.

We had one close call with the Marquette after it broke bud back in April. Got down to ~30 for a short period of time just before sunrise. The Corot Noir and Noiret were still all buttoned up and they came through unscathed. I lost 3 vines over the winter due to we had no moisture at all but I have some Noiret waiting in the wings to replace them. I will try and post a few new pics first chance I get. We are hot and dry at the moment but this weekend it looks like we have a decent shot for some monsoonal rain to kick in which would be wonderful and about a month early to boot!

We had one close call with the Marquette after it broke bud back in April. Got down to ~30 for a short period of time just before sunrise. The Corot Noir and Noiret were still all buttoned up and they came through unscathed. I lost 3 vines over the winter due to we had no moisture at all but I have some Noiret waiting in the wings to replace them. I will try and post a few new pics first chance I get. We are hot and dry at the moment but this weekend it looks like we have a decent shot for some monsoonal rain to kick in which would be wonderful and about a month early to boot!

How 'bout some current photos of the vineyard? It's been a while since you posted the last ones, I'm sort of anxious to see how things are developing...............

Vineyard would be false advertising I think. More like a Wine Garden at best!

How 'bout some current photos of the vineyard? It's been a while since you posted the last ones, I'm sort of anxious to see how things are developing...............

Not head trained, I used 2x2 redwood and built a T using them with about a 6' wide top. Work great for single vines around the patio that don't need a trellis. As the vine gets older and heavier I had to reinforce the T with metal post that I zip tied to the redwood. The trunks of Cold Hardy Grapes are not strong enough to do head training IMHO.

In the first red umbrella picture is that a head pruned vine you are showing? If so, do you have a picture of it pruned and dormant?

If we get through the spring frost unscathed then the only thing we have to worry about is summer monsoon..........

0000087a1-Hail_in_Volnay_June_2014.jpg

One of these things is not like the other...... Man this year the marquette looks like it will be ready in another 4 weeks max while the Noirette and Corot Noir look like they will not be ready for months........

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3422.JPG

Latest posts

Back