What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought it was going to be a more miserable day today. Got up to around 70*F before the winds kicked in. Would have had heat maintenance issues with this wind if I started up the Weber bullet. So followed the original plan, bought a GF pot pie for my son, grilled up some chicken and cubed for some non-traditional pot pie for the rest of us. Wife was fanning herself, not sure if it was a hot flash or that she was hot, only 70*F inside and the humidity is low.

5-14-17_pot-pie.JPG

Took Momma out to Bonefish when she returned from her trip. I had the Cilantro-Lime shrimp salad (dressing on the side). My first time having that one, but not the last.

I made pork ribs on the Weber. The ribs were pre-marinated/seasoned, which was a first for me. I evidently did not get the temperature right, as after 4 hours of cooking, they were not completely tender. (They were fine, just not fall-oof-the-bone.) I baked some potatoes on the grill, and then cooked some pencil-thin asparagus (with garlic, fennel, and coriander) on the grill at the end, too.

In addition, I started a dish of the chipotle-braised short ribs that Mike posted yesterday. I think this will be a winner tomorrow!

MMMMmmmmm. Tonight we had the braised chipotle shortribs that Mike provided the recipe to the other day (and that I linked to above). They were, in my wife's words, unctuous and delectable. The heat was a good amount, to boot.

Paired this with polenta [with Feta cheese, pepper, fish sauce (for umami) and lemon juice (for some zing)] and with Swiss chard, braised with onions, sherry, chicken broth, butter, and olive oil, seasoned with cardamom, coriander, ginger, and cinnamon.

Did you go Dutch Oven or Slow Cooker?

Dutch oven. I seared them first in a cast-iron pan, because I like the sear better than from enamel. I subbed out celery and subbed in mushrooms, and put in 6 or 7 peppers instead of 4. A bunch of wine to deglaze the cast-iron pan, into the dutch oven with some beef broth, just like the recipe, then in the oven @275F for ~4 hours.

Geez, I just looked back at your note; I remembered that you did polenta, which is a perfect accompaniment to short ribs, but I did not remember that you did Swiss chard, too! Maybe my subconscious took over!

Last edited:
LOL that is too funny! I did the same exact thing as well. Seared in CIP first then transferred to DO. No wonder you had extra kick! I held steady to the 4 Peppers and it was perfect spice IMHO. I was able to sneak 8 Ribs into the pool instead of just 6 as called for. If you didn't add the cocoa, try that little addition next time.

Dutch oven. I seared them first in a cast-iron pan, because I like the sear better than from enamel. I subbed out celery and subbed in mushrooms, and put in 6 or 7 peppers instead of 4. A bunch of wine to deglaze the cast-iron pan, into the dutch oven with some beef broth, just like the recipe, then in the oven @275F for ~4 hours.

Geez, I just looked back at your note; I remembered that you did polenta, which is a perfect accompaniment to short ribs, but I did not remember that you did Swiss chard, too! Maybe my subconscious took over!

80+ today and I was thinking 'fresh and light'. After I cut the lawn, I got some chicken breast seasoned w/ S&P and some garlic powder - then grilled over charcoal. Made up a lemon vinaigrette, and tossed it over some spring greens, kalamata olives and a couple different cherry tomatoes. Sliced the chicken and served over the 'salad'. Made up some whole wheat angel hair, tossed with basil pesto for a carb. Fresh and delicious.

LOL that is too funny! I did the same exact thing as well. Seared in CIP first then transferred to DO.

That is too funny, I agree. Great minds....! :db

We had them for dinner this evening. I served over plain white rice, and spooned plenty of the sauce over top. The chipotle really mellowed, to the point I was thinking of adding some heat via sauce or chipotle powder tonight. (But, ultimately, I was too lazy.)

I also made a salad with romaine & parsley and a ho-made dressing of butternut squash oil, white balsamic vinegar, garlic and tarragon. Also deep-fried artichoke hearts (from TJ's) with parmesan and truffle oil.

We've got deconstructed Swedish meatballs on the menu tonight paired with a Pinot Noir.

I love me some Swedish meatballs, but the meatball prep takes so long, presentation is low priority with only hubby and I, and I break the meatballs up anyway, so deconstructed is all around better. And the noodles get to soak up extra flavor by cooking in the sauce. Yum!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Lobster and clam chowder dinner for the Mrs. and I, washed down with Crown and 7's. After a long day of traveling, completing with a bumpy 75 minute ride in a full 10 seat Cessna twin from Boston to Bar Harbor, I'm gonna sleep like a baby.......

You're killing me...

You're killing me...

You're lucky that I forgot to snap a photo of the hot, home-made blueberry pie with whipped cream and a scoop of vanilla!!

Blueberries are a pretty big thing here, wifey wants to do the blueberry pancake with blueberry syrup thing today, I'm campaigning for lobster omelets. Guess I'll get mine tomorrow.

You're lucky that I forgot to snap a photo of the hot, home-made blueberry pie with whipped cream and a scoop of vanilla!!

Blueberries are a pretty big thing here, wifey wants to do the blueberry pancake with blueberry syrup thing today, I'm campaigning for lobster omelets. Guess I'll get mine tomorrow.

They are VERY big up there. And very good! Find a winery and you'll probably get your hands on some blueberry wine.

They are VERY big up there. And very good! Find a winery and you'll probably get your hands on some blueberry wine.

You know I had that scoped out a long time ago!! We drove by the winery on the way to the hotel yesterday evening and have a visit planned.

http://www.barharborcellars.com

@johnd - you are an evil, evil, man!

Man I could absolutely MURDER that lobster right now.
It has been ages since I had one (last summer).

I checked with my local and they are going for 10.99/LB.

Oh well, there is always peanut butter and jelly (strawberry and NOT Welch's)

:(

Latest posts

Back