Jumping in Cannon ball style...no toe dipping here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielW

Reaction score
My first batch of wine is my own recipe and jumped right on in. I also have a 1 week old batch of apple cider in a jug brewing. I racked the apple cider to a clean 1 gallon jug last night.

The ultimate goal is to make wine from the fruit I grow at my place. I just started 3 grape plants this year and wont have fruit for 3 years. I have 3 types of figs I planted last year and should get my first fruit this year. I started 3 blackberries but 2 of them died over winter so I am down to 1 healthy blackberry and replacing with more this year.

So for now this is what I just started.

I used 3 gallons of Organic Old Orchard-Blackberry Lavender Lemonade, 2 gallons of Tree Top apple juice, 4 lbs of Kirkland frozen fruit mix of blackberries, raspberry, and blueberries, 12.5 cups of Kirkland organic sugar, Fermintis Safcider yeast, and wyeast yeast nutrient.

Original SG of just juice blended together was 1.053. Added Sugar 5 cups at a time till i got to 1.083. Was not sure how to calculate SG of frozen fruit?

Fermintis says this yeast dies at 11% and should leave just a hint of sweet?

What do you think will I have a good brew?
Just a new kid playing in the water.
:db

Only over night, not even 12 hours, and the airlock is dancing away. Pretty exciting first day of wine making.

Keep everything clean and dont bottle until a month or two after you think its ready, if you see a change in that time wait two more.

WELCOME
I MAKE COUNTRY WINES FROM SCRATCH,
but I have a few types that are not producing yet, check out www.homewinery.com look under concentrates,
best of luck to you
Dawg

WELCOME
My first batch of wine is my own recipe and jumped right on in. I also have a 1 week old batch of apple cider in a jug brewing. I racked the apple cider to a clean 1 gallon jug last night.

The ultimate goal is to make wine from the fruit I grow at my place. I just started 3 grape plants this year and wont have fruit for 3 years. I have 3 types of figs I planted last year and should get my first fruit this year. I started 3 blackberries but 2 of them died over winter so I am down to 1 healthy blackberry and replacing with more this year.

So for now this is what I just started.

I used 3 gallons of Organic Old Orchard-Blackberry Lavender Lemonade, 2 gallons of Tree Top apple juice, 4 lbs of Kirkland frozen fruit mix of blackberries, raspberry, and blueberries, 12.5 cups of Kirkland organic sugar, Fermintis Safcider yeast, and wyeast yeast nutrient.

Original SG of just juice blended together was 1.053. Added Sugar 5 cups at a time till i got to 1.083. Was not sure how to calculate SG of frozen fruit?

Fermintis says this yeast dies at 11% and should leave just a hint of sweet?

What do you think will I have a good brew?
Just a new kid playing in the water.
:db

Hound,

So flipping through the forum and found a few say to add tea or tannins. What do you suggest on this front?

Racked on May 11. Was not able to check SG till May 13 because I broke my hydrometer. Its SG is .992

Rule of thumb, always have at least 2 hydrometers at all times!!!! Lol, if not it is a guarantee that you will break it. Also, using tannins will give you more control then adding teas.

Maybe the Fermintis Safcider is the wrong yeast. It took an hour plus with a degasser on a drill to clear.

???????? THE QUICKEST THING IVE EVER MADE TOOK 2 MONTHS AND 2 WEEKS.
Joe ancient orange.
I am far too new to be certain but I cant imagine you could be anywhere near bottle ready.
Original post just over 10 days old.
If you dont end up with bottle bombs I expect you will have a bunch of sediment.
I have had both. Now I wait 1 week minimum after I think im bottle ready, and if I can detect any change 2 more weeks before I look at it again. If no chage then, 1 more week again.

I don't think any of us start out with enough patience! It's hard on the first batch (or 5th) to give it the time it really needs. I'm still in a rush to "do something" whenever I've got something going. It's taking a LOT of self control to just let stuff sit and age. Waiting does not come naturally to me.

I have come to accept the sediment in my earlier bottles. They have all been for home use anyways. Hopefully some of my later batches will be good enough to give away. Otherwise I've got to drink it all myself, and I don't think the wife would like that ::

I measured everything with my hydrometer. Fermentation was complete when I degassed. it cleared brilliantly like the package said and I just bottled this morning. It tastes good but it is definitely missing something. It has a good initial flavor and ends well but there seems to be like it's no body.

will body will body come with age? Or was my original ingredients list missing something?

Oak can add completeness .
I cant speak for time on this one.
I hope it stays in the bottle long enough to find out.
If I dont see you post about sediment or bombs in the next cpuple months I may give this a go.

Daniel,

You are going to learn so much on this first jump into the pool! Its going to be a great ride and always remember that your making your own wine, hooch, etc. Right there is a statement that is worth making. Don't get discouraged and keep working each batch thinking do I like it and would I serve it to my friends, family, others.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.

jr

I did not put any oak in this, I think maybe I should have. There is no sugar left in the wine I do not think Fermintation can start again. I checked for degassing before bottling by putting a vacuum on carboy and not a single bubble came out.

I got 2 cases out of this and plan on keeping 1 case at least 6 months. I am keeping a 1 liter bottle for the 1 year anniversary.

Latest posts

Back