WineXpert Confused

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
WE Eclipse SB step 4 instructions, racking and clarifying, say to add metabisulphite if you age wine more than six months. Do they mean if bulk aging, or does this mean total aging which includes in the bottles? These wines will spend years in the bottles, after the one month clarification. So, I'm not sure whether to add the meta or not. See upside photo of instruction. Thank you for your advice!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to check out these pics that are just way to big! I re-sized it to a 448 x 336 px using Microsoft Picture manager. Sorry I forgot to flip it.

Normally k-meta is added at the three day racking point. then every three months there after during bulk aging.

Thank you, so if not bulk aging (though highly recommended) there is no need to add additional k-meta for bottling even though bottles will age for years?

Though it doesn't say "bulk" age I've always interpreted the instruction as meaning bulk aging.

If it’s been a month since your wine had a dose, and you are bottling the wine with the intent to age for a long time, adding an 1/8 tsp dose won’t hurt. This amount will still be far below commercial wines.

Latest posts

Back