New To MLF Test Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been making wine for about 10 years and this year I finally decided to get on the path to better consistent wine making, Hence MLF testing.
I have attached my first MLF test this is 2 weeks since racking of the gross lees
I added Chris Hansen's Malolactic culture vinfiora Oenos right after racking off the gross lees that was 2 weeks ago. Looks like I have a way to go.
The Zin is in 60 gallon VC Stainless Tank and the Cab is in a 39 Gallon VC stainless tank with air locks, there does not appear to be anything going on with either of them. Room temp is 70 degrees. I have not added So2 since my initial into the must at crush. What advice can you give me, just wait another 2 weeks and test again? Should I add So2, my guess is to wait for the malic acid not show up on the test.

P1060246.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like ML is moving along, don't add sulfite yet, I would say you are correct with testing again in 2 weeks.

4 weeks into MLF another test shows the Cab is just about completed but the Zin doesn't look like its moved in 2 weeks any thoughts or suggestions, let it go another 2 weeks? and test again, Room temp is 70, I have stirred one per week, PH is 3.65 no sulfate since initial dose before primary AF

MLFTest102217.jpg

You're right on track with the Cab, another 2 weeks and you can sulfite and move forward. Funny how some wines react, treated at the same time, same conditions, same protocols, and one struggles. Merlot is renowned for it's stubbornness, but not zinfandel, at least not that I've heard of. Keep up the stirring, it's been what, 30 days or so? Sometimes they take months, more of a marathon than a sprint.

You're right on track with the Cab, another 2 weeks and you can sulfite and move forward. Funny how some wines react, treated at the same time, same conditions, same protocols, and one struggles. Merlot is renowned for it's stubbornness, but not zinfandel, at least not that I've heard of. Keep up the stirring, it's been what, 30 days or so? Sometimes they take months, more of a marathon than a sprint.
Thanks for the response John, I do tend to get inpatient, especially when I see the Cabs just about done.
Mike

Before sulfiting the Cab, you might consider pulling a gallon out of each tank, and put the Cab in the Zin and the Zin in the Cab. With your volumes a gallon won't affect flavor, but the transfer of some of the acclimated bacteria from the Cab may help the Zin move along.

Tested the MLF after another 2 weeks Cab is good to put to sleep in the oak barrel, I'm thinking another few weeks for the zin. What do you think?

Attachments

• P1060260.JPG
    P1060260.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 43
So How good did that feel to finally see on the Zin?!

I'd still wait on the cab too. At least couple weeks. I just recently had a test showing 2 wines complete, but checked with MLF test strips that give results in g/L and one was 30g/L the other 150g/L.

Looking good. As already said, give 'em a couple more weeks. I like to wait until the chromatography shows complete (as your Cab does), then go a week or two after that.

Yes Finally Looks like we are complete for both Cab and Zins. I'm planning on racking and getting both protected with S02 Cab will go in Oak Barrel, Zins with be in VC SS Tank, took 11 weeks to completeP1060273.JPG

Latest posts

Back