What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started with a nice, fresh fruity and forgettable rose on the deck in the sun. Graduated to a 2006 Yakima valley Cab Sauv that just didn't work with a grilled rib-eye so I ended up with my Tempranillo-Sangiovese blend. Hey, a night of good food, lovely company and wine experimentation. What else could I ask for?

The Stehekin red is a blend designed by my hiking group on an overnight at the head of lake Chelan. OK so maybe memory and place is why I like it!

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

Enjoyed a blood orange wheat last night. Co-worker's husband brewed it. It was outstanding - especially considering its only his 6th or 7th batch.

Sorry to say I'm out of wine. Hitting up a local winery to get a case of my favorite Norton. I have to wait until at least Thanksgiving to drink the first bottle of mine.

Fred
I think we've all been there and done that at some point in time. Just think how nice it will be when you can walk into your wine storage area and have to decide which wine you'll open! Here's to hoping that is sooner than later.

I think we've all been there and done that at some point in time. Just think how nice it will be when you can walk into your wine storage area and have to decide which wine you'll open! Here's to hoping that is sooner than later.

So far I have a Malbec, Red Blend, Amarone and Pinot Noir aging. This fall I'm planning on my first attempt with grapes and going to do 20 gallons of Norton that I will blend differently and a smaller batch of either Tannat or Petit Manseng. In a year or so I should be good depending on how much I give away. Never had a Mead and may try that in the mean time.

Last night was our monthly community wine tasting event for April. It was limited to Rosé and Riesling wines. We had probably 10 Rosé and 5 different Riesling. There were some decent and a couple of very good Rosé, but the Rieslings stole the show.

The wine I brought was my 2016 Columbia Valley Riesling. Out of the five Rieslings, most considered mine 2nd or 3rd in the Riesings. I felt it took 3rd in that running, but I'm pleased with that considering all the others were commercial offerings. (and quite good offerings at that, not a bad or *just* decent one in the bunch)

Last edited:
Cracked a bottle of my 2013 Cab Sauv. When I bottled it a year ago, it was mean with rough tannins. Now, velvety soft with layers starting with smoked bacon to black fruits and spice. Guess I'll keep it::

Not a school night for me, as I'm off tomorrow and Friday to catch up on yard chores. Cracked open a 2015 Viognier from Horton Vineyards here in VA. I decided to pull a sample of my 2016 CA Viognier to compare. All in all, they are both equally as good, but definitely different. Mine is more complex, with a richer, fuller mouthfeel and more prominent tropical notes. The Horton has a crisp acidity and minerality that I feel mine is lacking. Was thinking of adding some Tartaric to mine and tonight's comparison is driving me further toward that (need to run some more pH tests just to validate my taste test). Overall, I think mine stands up very, very well to the commercial version and with a little acid may be head and shoulders above it.

Wow, this is a nice Sauvignon Blanc...!!
Intense passion fruit both in the aroma and your palate, long finish..

It was given to the wife, from Costco around $8.99

Like it.

EDIT: name corrected....lol

ImageUploadedByWine Making1493491945.534857.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back