WineXpert Winexpert LE16

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran the numbers myself for the two WE White LRs. Prices, including tax and shipping:

FVW: $297.16
LP: $210.10

Add to that that through the LP rewards program I have a $15 coupon and I'm under $200 delivered. No brainer. My only beef is that LP charges your card when you order and FVW (as well as most others) don't charge until they ship. But in saving almost $100, I'm OK with that.

Just for fun, I checked the place that shall not be mentioned, and they were $240 delivered.

Are those good prices ? :sh Here are the prices in Calgary . These prices are in Canadian dollars . Is the sipping expensive for you ?
16 Limited Edition Selection Wine Kits

January 2017: Cabernet Franc

Yakima Valley, Washington – regular $145– pre-pay $130.50

Cabernet Franc is a grape with so much to offer yet most of the winemaking world blends it with other varieties to make a 'Bordeaux' style blend. It's home, the Loire Valley in France, is one place that hails Cabernet Franc for the beauty that it is and makes brilliant single varietal versions of it. The Yakima Valley in Washington State coincidentally sits at the same latitude as the Loire Valley. These cooler climate wine regions have just what Cabernet Franc needs. At 46 degrees latitude north, grapes ripen in summer sunshine that lasts for about 17 hours a day (more than in California) and Yakima specifically is known to have 300 cloudless days per year. There's good reason to celebrate this grape on its own. It can tread the line between fruit and spice notes magnificently with ripe raspberry and red currant dancing around with black pepper and fresh mint leaf. There is a solid backbone of tannin to provide mouth-feel and structure, and it can pair with a range of foods due to its medium-body status. Play up the herbaceous elements and enjoy it with rosemary-crusted lamb or cozy up herbaceous elements and enjoy it in the winter with a paprika-rich bowl of Goulash stew.

Short Description: Red wine. Ripe raspberry and red currant with black pepper and solid tannins. Sweetness: Dry, Body: Medium, Alcohol: 13%

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

January 2017: Vermentino

Tuscany, Italy – regular price $140 – pre-pay $126.00

Although rare in North America, in Italy the Vermentino grape is a white star. Grown from the north to south of the country, it ferments into a wine that is expressively refreshing. Think of flavours like white peach, green apple, fresh lime and even a bit of dried tarragon on the finish. On the palate, it has a quenching acidity that makes your mouth water with delight and a delicate weight that allows this wine to be sip-worthy on its own. In Tuscany, the grape has the chance to soak in the warm amber hues of the Tuscan sun. This ripens it to a degree of even more aromatic expression on both the nose and palate. Tuscany, one of the finest wine regions in the world, certainly VERMENTINO has a definitive collection of red grapes already. However Vermentino is one of the few whites grown in this haven of viticulture and we're grateful for it. Although perfect on its own on a warm summer day, this wine also pairs beautifully with regional Italian cuisine like pasta tossed in olive oil with fresh shellfish or simply with grilled Mediterranean vegetables.

Short Description: White Wine. White peach, green apple, fresh lime and quenching acidity. Sweetness: Dry, Body: Light-Medium, Alcohol: 12.5%

February 2017:Milagro

Valencia, Spain - regular price $145 – pre-pay $130.50

Grapes: Tempranillo, Garnacha, Bobal, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah

Blending grapes together is an art with, of course, a bit of science, and the grapes here are perfectly suited. Three of Spain's great red varieties, Tempranillo, Garnacha and Bobal bring their lush and hedonistic qualities to the full-bodied and well-structured friends Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Together, you have a wine with a range of black and red fruit characteristics, cherry cola, anise and white pepper with a powerful yet supple mouth-feel. Most of the vineyards in Valencia are located inland where there is more mountainous topography. This allows the grapes a much-needed cool down in the evening from the warm heat that surrounds them duringthe day. This particular area of the country has a long history of making wine, dating as far back as the Neolithic period, which certainly gives it an anchor in expertise and tradition. Pair this with braised beef, a big wedge of Manchego cheese or the region's famous specialty, Paella. Put your feet up, close your eyes and escape to Spain.

Short Description: Red Wine. Black and red fruit, cherry cola, anise, white pepper; bold mouth-feel. Sweetness: Dry, Body: Medium-Full, Alcohol: 14%

March 2017: Blanc de Noir

San Joaquin Valley, California – regular price $140 – pre-pay $126.00

The San Joaquin Valley is California's largest wine region, and for a good reason. This area is an agricultural haven and is known as the "food basket of the world". Grapes just thrive here and are so content to grow that you can taste their utter bliss in the juice. With over 100 years of winemaking history, producers have been pushing the quality boundaries and the region is becoming known for its varietal focus. Blanc de Noir is a French term that translates to a 'white wine made from dark grapes'. Pinot Noir, which many wine experts argue is the greatest red wine grape in the world, is used for this particular wine. A fussy character, Pinot Noir is notably difficult to grow. However, with those deep fertile soils of the San Joaquin Valley and the cool Delta breeze that flows through the vineyards, Pinot Noir is quite content here. By quickly removing the skins from the juice after the grapes have been pressed, the pigment from the skins is not transferred to the juice resulting in all the beautiful complexities of Pinot Noir while keeping the colour light and the tannins at bay. This wine, with its Crabapple and strawberry driven nose and light body, pairs well with delicate dishes. Splurge on poached lobster or enjoy with eggs benedict at your next Sunday brunch.

Short Description: White Wine. Crabapple, strawberry, white peach and grapefruit. Sweetness: Off-Dry, Body: Light-Medium, Alcohol: 13%

April 2017:Granache Cabernet with grape skins

Riverland, Australia – regular price $159– pre-pay $143.10

The Riverland is situated in South Australia and has a sunny, warm climate that is mediated by the Murray River which gently meanders its way through the region. This is an area of the world where big reds can develop to their full potential. Cabernet Sauvignon, the undisputed "king" of grapes, is a big, bold character that has strong tannins in his youth, yet unwinds himself with age to a smooth, velvety texture that is worth the wait. Flavours like black currant (cassis) jam, cigar box and black olive will arise and marry well with his counterpart, Grenache. Grenache is the yin to Cabernet Sauvignon's yang. It's both soft and jammy to balance out the powerful structure of Cabernet, yet rich and spicy enough to stand up to him. Flavours like red licorice, black cherry and raspberry combine with a warm cinnamon spice that rounds out the blend perfectly. Enjoy this wine with bold protein-rich dishes like grilled steak or wild mushroom risotto if meat is not on the menu. Even without a meal, have a few big slices of aged cheddar to compliment the flavour CABERNET and tannin of this age-worthy red.

Short Description: Red Wine. Blackcurrant, cigar box, black cherry and raspberry with warm vanilla and spice finish. Sweetness: Dry, Body: Full, Alcohol: 14.5%

@zalai: Those are great prices, IMHO. Prices quoted were the total for both kits, including shipping. So from LP, an average of $105. Not bad for 30 bottles of good white wine.

Emailed HBS yesterday and they were unaware that LP was not following MAP so I shot them the link and now they are playing the same game. Just looked and now I can get both the white kits for $204 delivered. I think I will hold off for a few days as it seems they always have a coupon code every week or so for 10% off.

BccgVfFrZgDoKLbL.jpg

Is that homebrewsupply? If so, they also had the same MAP "trick" as LP, I'm very sure because I've added LE kits to the cart and the price is different/cheaper, and not today but I've seen this way before on their site.

Last edited:
@zalai: Those are great prices, IMHO. Prices quoted were the total for both kits, including shipping. So from LP, an average of $105. Not bad for 30 bottles of good white wine.

Oh OK, I got it . Sorry I misunderstood you . For 2 kits those are great prices .

Emailed HBS yesterday and they were unaware that LP was not following MAP so I shot them the link and now they are playing the same game. Just looked and now I can get both the white kits for $204 delivered. I think I will hold off for a few days as it seems they always have a coupon code every week or so for 10% off.

BccgVfFrZgDoKLbL.jpg

$15 off on two kits using promo code: 2wine.

Just ordered the Vermentino and Grenache/Cab.

$189.43 for both LE16 Whites delivered! HBS came through and thanks for the coupon code @brian55

Just ran the numbers myself for the two WE White LRs. Prices, including tax and shipping:

FVW: $297.16
LP: $210.10

Add to that that through the LP rewards program I have a $15 coupon and I'm under $200 delivered. No brainer. My only beef is that LP charges your card when you order and FVW (as well as most others) don't charge until they ship. But in saving almost $100, I'm OK with that.

Just for fun, I checked the place that shall not be mentioned, and they were $240 delivered.

Is that homebrewsupply? If so, they also had the same MAP "trick" as LP, I'm very sure because I've added LE kits to the cart and the price is different/cheaper, and not today but I've seen this way before on their site.

Yup, looks like HBS is doing the MAP trick. Price is substantially reduced when added to the cart.

Pre-ordered the Grenache Cabernet today. :db

Is anyone doing the Milagro? Any thoughts on it?

We had a Rioja with dinner last night that had me looking at my options for Tempranillo and Rioja kits, and it looks like the only premium kit offered by any manufacturer is the WE LE Milagro, so I was wondering if anyone is doing it this year.

I have a Milagro in the secondary after doing a 45 day extended primary maceration ferment. It showed alot of promise at racking but I won't be bottling it for another two months or so to get a really good indication. But I am considering seeing if my lhbs has another one to sell. I also have a WineExpert Tempranillo very close to bottling and I hope that's a good one as well. I'll try to remember and post back further impressions of both.

@Hordak, did the Milagro come with a skins pack? The description doesn't read as if it does. Or did you use your own grapes or skins pack?

I don't believe it had it's own skins pack. I made my own f-pack and I think I used half of a Mosti Mondiale grape pack and added extra tannin.

I got mine from HBS last week also but won't start it for another couple weeks. I plan on using MT yeast with an extended maceration.

Our Grenache/Cab is sitting fourth or fifth in line waiting for primary.

I got mine from HBS last week also but won't start it for another couple weeks. I plan on using MT yeast with an extended maceration.

I haven't opened it up yet to see whats in it, but I was considering trying the EM on this kit as well.

Latest posts

Back