What's in Your Airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
I typically use the 3-pc plastic airlocks (think they are called "Econolocks") that have a bit of liquid in the chamber. For those who use this type, what liquid do you use for the gas barrier?

I use a bit of metabisulphate in mine.. sanitiser strength.. and then it doesn't matter if a bit gets sucked back into the wine when I move the plastic carboys.

Allie

I've always used water but I was thinking of switching to vodka.

I'm thinking along those same lines, also. So far I've always used a sanitizer solution (couple of C-tabs in a gallon of water).

I was wondering why you would put sanitizer in your air lock that but possible get into your wine . Don't think I would want that to happen . I only use water .

I was wondering why you would put sanitizer in your air lock that but possible get into your wine . Don't think I would want that to happen . I only use water .

i use kmeta solution because it's inconsequential if it gets sucked into the wine from the airlock because it's such a small amount. Using water could possibly lead to bacteria or mold entering through the airlock. Vodka is ok but needs to be checked more often for evaporation.

Sulfite solution here also or some 190 proof for bulk aging as it doesnt evaporate much.

Mostly I use plain water, but having been away on vacation in the summer and come home to find a dry airlock, I use 50/50 water + glycerine when the weather is hot. I find this doesn't evaporate as quick as plain water.

Regards to all, Winemanden.

I would stray from plain water as that can contain bacteria in it right from your well or what ever system you have and there is allowable amounts of this but once it sits long enough stagnant they can explode into a colony just like your yeast. A little sulfite in that water kills almost every bit and if yiu have a high or low pressure storm front in your area it can cause our wine to expand up into your airlock and contaminate your wine.

I was using water, but I have come upon a rather larger supply of vodka. Since I don't drink vodka very often I will be filling airlocks with it for now on. I also heard that the vodka will not evaporate very quickly at all compared to water for aging purposes.

Water is not a good idea, it can get contaminated easily. Vodkas and stuff like that are good or just k-meta solution that you should have a plentiful supply of at any time.

I have used water everytime. That's what I was taught. Wouldn't the K-Meta evaporate over time.

10 months ageing is a long time with water. I regularly check on them though.

I used water in the past until I found random globs of yuck floating in an air lock. The weather here is pretty mild so they don't really dry out but now I use sulfite solution. I even run across the occasional drowned ant in my air lock.

Latest posts

Back