"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
If you were referring to the Vid, it was the Wine Expert White Merlot.

The clear screw-on housing can be hard to tighten or loosen if a good seal is made with the O-ring inside. That's why people recommend a wrench for the filter housing. The bracket is for attaching the whole house filter to your bench to hold it tightly when removing or installing the clear filter housing with a wrench or your hands. Without the bracket, it is hard to hold the filter and remove the bottom housing with a wrench.

You just jumped the gun, because after the 6 gallons of White Merlot, I filtered 6 gallons of DB! Now if you can only predict the end of the world, I'd be really impressed! You can't do any worse than the last couple of predictions!:D

Hi guys

I want to build my own wine-filter set-up and unfortunately filtersfast.com don't ship to Iceland where I live. Does anyone know where else I can order from?

Thanks.
Mano

Take those Part # and do a google search for them - or email the manufacturer
and ask them also.

I wonder if you could hook one of these up to a House? Has anyone tried that before. Man I'm thinking you could put it on the main water line a filter your whole house with it :) :)

I thought Shoebiedoo meant that you could hook up the filter and provide filtered WINE throughout the house!:HB Guess that was a Freudian slurp!

FWIW, I have both housings, the one with the air bleed button on top and the one without. I could never get the button to stop leaking air so I ordered the one without the button. It works great, no air leaks with only hand tightening.

Using PD-x-934 Filters

I bought my filter setup before the discussion about the poor fit of the PD-x-934 filters and the current recommendation to use the P-x type. Of course, when I bought the housing I also bought 6 of the PD-x filters to make sure I had plenty on hand. Since I am too cheap to waste these I developed the following technique to use them until I restock with the P-x type.

I used the tip in the OP of marking the housing and top in the closed position without a filter to know when I have the housing tight. Although it was fairly easy to get the marks to line up with the PD-x filter, this was because the base stopped turning a full revolution before it seated. After some playing around I hit on the following: I put about 1.5 to 2 inches of water in a sauce plan and brought it to a boil. I put the bottom of the filter in the boiling water for about 15-20 seconds then flipped the housing a did the same to the top before finally putting the bottom back in the water for an additional 20 - 30 seconds. I then took the filter out of the water, let it drip for a few seconds and put it in the housing while still hot. This softens the plastic inner core enough that it is then fairly easy to get the housing tightened to the marks.

I found that the nylon barb fittings need a lot of Teflon tape to seal. I had to use 6 full wraps which is way more than I would use on a plumbing fitting to get a good seal.

I also had some difficulty filling the filter and found that turning the filter upside down was a good way to clear the air out of it. I use the plastic pipe on the inside of the filter as pictured by DangerDave in the filter review post.

Once I did all of this, I was able to filter water from one carboy to another without bubbles in the discharge tubing and then filter a batch of Pinot Gris.

Thanks Grasshopper
for confirming that the hard piece of plastic appears to be the problem with this original setup. Let me know if you have any other issues with the newer upgraded type of filters .

Thanks again

If the filter with the hard plastic appears to be the root cause, can we still use the older housing with the new filter?

The original housing I bought I think is the 158326.
I can buy replacement filters but really don't want to buy the rest of the setup again...:ft

Will check that video from Bob now...

Last edited:
If the filter with the hard plastic appears to be the root cause, can we still use the older housing with the new filter?

The original housing I bought I think is the 158326.
I can buy replacement filters but really don't want to buy the rest of the setup again...:ft

Will check that video from Bob now...

Yes the filter appears to be the main problem - but if you use the old filter with any housing there is a good chance that you might of damaged the 2 sealing contacts (beveled edges) - please inspect your housing where your filter should seal and see if there is any damage

I bought a piece of 1/2 inch PVC to extend the pickup tube but it will press in. It is too big, I think it is schedule 40 pvc. Did I buy the wrong thing?

I believe it is the garden irrigation pipe - gray in color -

I can try and find the link where it was discussed more in detail

I believe it is the garden irrigation pipe - gray in color -

I can try and find the link where it was discussed more in detail

Yeah, I bought the white PVC. I will look again. Only paid $1.25 for a 2 foot piece so I am not out much.

I bought the black VPC pipe at Home Depot. 2' for $0.80. Here is the link: Polyethylene pipe. It's in the section with PVC and galvanized pipe. Near the threading machine with the nipples. BTW: don't try to have it threaded! It's too soft and the threader just smashes the walls. Don't ask how I know!

Bob,

and you still used the older style filter AND housing, correct?
I will be getting a new filter but hesitating to buy new housing and barbs...

Latest posts

Back