wine kegs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norske

Forum Member
Reaction score
Does any commercial winery do 5 gallon wine kegs? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction to best obtain the equipment necessary and the knowledge to do it.

Doing more research, it looks like it requires a Cornelius keg and a bottle of 75/25 CO2 and Nitrogen. Some of our local restaurants are converting to this instead of by the bottle. I may have to give this a try but would still like to hear from any others who have experience with this.

I've not see the kegs the wineries are using. I have used corney kegs for my wine and for topping with good results. I would not use any CO2 for fear of carbonation. I use argon and understand nitrogen is more common flor wine. There are 2 - 3 gal corney type kegs.

How about 3-4 bottle wine bags? With kegs, you risk carbonation, which isn't bad if that is your intention (like with Island Mist kits).

The story I have read on the wine kegs is that you use a blend of 75% N and 25% CO2 and only pressure it up to 3-5 psi, they claim it will not introduce CO2 to your wine at that level. I will purge the cornies with straight argon, but once the restaurant receives them, they have the N/CO2 tanks in place for their delivery system.

Latest posts

Back