Vineco passport questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
I just received my cab franc/cab sauv passport kit and dipped right into the instructions. I found they differ somewhat from the rjs ones i am used to. Anyways, i came across a couple of questions i would like to ask before i start. I really don't want to mess this kit up.

1. It says to add the juice concentrate and rinse bag with 2-3l of water and THEN add the bentonite. Is this okay? I thought the bentonite had to be added first-to hot water so it dissolves and doesn't clump up. This kit seems to have me just add it to the room temperature must and stir.

2. The instructions make it clear to NOT TOP UP to ensure a properly balanced wine. Is this only if you plan on bottling on the day the instructions say? If bulk aging for months, shouldn't i top up?

3. It says to let it clear using a solid bung. Why not an airlock with water and kmeta like it has been telling me all along?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate everyone's help who responds.

Last edited:
StBlGT as far as instructions go , the kit makers vary a bit , i always start with hot water in the primary and then stir in the bentonite,add the juice and then rinse the bag with hot water.

The only reason for not topping up would be if you plan to bottle in the 6-8 week timeframe. I would still top off if you have to much headspace in your carboy

You can use a airlock or solid bung, i carboy age all my wine with airlocks.

Since they're telling you it'll throw the wine out of balance, I think they assume you'd top up with water. If you're topping up with a similar wine, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I still use an airlock and not a solid bung, no matter what the directions say.

The bentonite? I agree with oaksfan - I always start with hot water, dissolve the bentonite, then add the juice and remaining water.

Since they're telling you it'll throw the wine out of balance, I think they assume you'd top up with water. If you're topping up with a similar wine, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I still use an airlock and not a solid bung, no matter what the directions say.

The bentonite? I agree with oaksfan - I always start with hot water, dissolve the bentonite, then add the juice and remaining water.

It is my understanding that Vineco uses a different type of bentonite than RJS. [Yes, there are MANY different grades/types/whatever of bentonite. Back in about 2000, RJS kits had three different, visually and instruction wise, types of bentonite.] In my experience, stirring vigourously the bentonite into the must as Vineco recommends works with their bentonite. BTW, if you get an RJS 23 litre pail of must, they have you stir the bentonite into the must, because you can't add any hot water to a 23 litre kit.

Steve

Yeah, the bentonite step is what i am most skeptical of. It doesn't even have me dissolve it in water first. It says to sprinkle in must and stir. Is this normal for some kits?

I checked my instruction sheets and from all the kits i've done, the passport series is the only one that calls for the juice first. I have made 4 of the passport reds including the cab sauv/ cab franc and haven't had any issues with the old method.

Thanks for checking, oaksfan. So you're saying you did this same kit, but didn't follow passport instructions. Instead, you put the bentonite in warm/hot water and dissolved....then added the juice?

Yep thats just what i do. If your more comfortable following the directions, by all means go that route.

I've done a couple passport, recently the sav blanc moscato blend, and used bentonite with the hot water first, then added the concentrated juice.

No issue.

Thanks. Good to know. I think i am doing the hot water and stir to dissolve method, too. I can't really see how it would matter. I am starting it tomorrow....can't wait!

Latest posts

Back