For the experts "fusel" alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
What do the experts know about "fusel" alcohol? How likely is the wine to have off tastes?

Fusel alcohol has more than 2 carbon atoms attached (ethanol has 2). It's thought to contribute to hangovers, and has been described to taste like kerosene. Typically, a warmer fermentation increases the production of fusels but lots of other things might cause fusels. Maintaining an optimal fermentation temp is the only way to control fusels in wine and beer. For clear liquors, the fusels are discarded as part of the "tails" of the distillation run. Certain whiskeys require some fusels as part of the flavor profile.

Some one please fact check me on this one. But isnt ester production also temperature dependent?

Yes, and very dependent on the yeast strain as well. When a kit has a recommended temp, they are mainly targeting low fusels and an ester profile from the supplied yeast.

In the 80's we did see some fusels in red wine as a result using commercial yeasts and little or no nutrition with low LANC grapes.
Malvina

Did/does it effect the taste?
To me it is poorly made wine that is undrinkable. However based on some of the posters here they will drink anything. So your question is hard to answer. For example one fellow wanted to know if his batch was ruined because it smelled like nail polish. Seriously would you drink a wine that smelled like nail polish?
Malvina

To me it is poorly made wine that is undrinkable. However based on some of the posters here they will drink anything. So your question is hard to answer. For example one fellow wanted to know if his batch was ruined because it smelled like nail polish. Seriously would you drink a wine that smelled like nail polish?
Malvina

Well, if a wine that smells like rotten eggs and (to the inexperienced) seemingly undrinkable can be "fixed", what is so bad about an inexperienced person asking if a wine that smells like nail polish might also be fixed? :pic

Key words here are "inexperienced person".

It does not smell like nail polish or rotten eggs. It smells and tastes like young wine with a lot of alcohol, really no different then the many others I have made. ABV from SG and FG is 12%. Time will tell.

What causes the nail polish smells? Is that one of the fusels you're all conversing about?

The following is not my words but what I found on Goggle;

That distinct smell of nail-polish remover is a sure indicator of excess volatile acidity (often abbreviated as simply VA). When detectable (as a sharp, acidic smell), VA is generally considered a winemaking flaw that can arise during fermentation or from a post-fermentation bacterial infection. Sensitivity to VA differs widely from individual to individual, and at lower levels, it can "lift" aromas and add a certain positive presence to the wine's flavors. It is not harmful, but whenever you find any such unpleasant chemical odors, whether nail polish, airplane glue or vinegar, dominating the scent and flavor of a particular wine, that wine should be avoided.

Thanks Mike. So what happens when the must gets to warm in fresh fruit then?

I don't think it forms much (if any) fusel alcohol just like grape wine. You would have to distill a wine many times over and separate out the higher end fractions (tails) to concentrate enough fusel alcohol to worry about.

Well, if a wine that smells like rotten eggs and (to the inexperienced) seemingly undrinkable can be "fixed", what is so bad about an inexperienced person asking if a wine that smells like nail polish might also be fixed? :pic

Key words here are "inexperienced person".
Well Robie that fellow never asked if it could be fixed he asked if he should drink it. Sadly it really can't be fixed.
Malvina

Last edited:
No, did not ask if it was drinkable. It is still very young and as I said, it has the smell and taste of a very young wine

No, did not ask if it was drinkable. It is still very young and as I said, it has the smell and taste of a very young wine
I am sorry Sammy if I offended you and I read it wrong. When you say Nail polish bells go off in my brain! The point is that Ethyl Acetate is a terrible by product of serious VA. You might get a wiff at one point in the fermentation and it could disappear quickly. But a prolonged or finished wine with this type of VA means usually the wine is not drinkable. Not only is it bad for the wine but it will infect the barrel and that will be unusable with no chance of cleaning. Cleanliness, Nutrients and proper parameters for yeast during fermentation will usually avoid this problem. Since you have it you need to look into where the initial problem lies.
Malvina

Sammy's main concern is will high temps during fermentation harm the wine(correct me if I'm wrong) he has heard high fermentation temps can cause "fusel alcohol". From talking with him it is my understanding he has a very active fermentation going and it has made the temp of the must go up a good bit. He was worried that the higher temp of the must may cause a problem with the "fusel alcohol". So far he hasn't got a problem he is just checking to see if it may in fact cause a problem. Sammy if I'm wrong please tell me so, I told him if he hadn't done anything to cause the high temps then in my opinion it should be fine and if he was worried he could cool it in some fashion (he mentioned possibly sitting the fermenter in a water bath with cool water), I said it may slow the fermentation but other than that shouldn't hurt anything. I told him I thought it would probably be fine as it is, the temps are getting high because the fermentation is so active.

That is my opinion of course I do things a bit different by using wild yeast.
Sammy if I am wrong or have told you wrong I'm sorry but that was my opinion on what you'd asked me earlier about this.

Latest posts

Back