Wine Kitz Stirring the must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteader26

Reaction score
Just started my 1st box wine and have made several batches of wine from scratch over the last 6 months. The directions tell me not to stir and let sit for 5-7 days. Today is day two and it has a nice cap on it and I am inclined to give it a stir. Can anyone tell me why it is not recommended when making a kit but when making from fruit or grapes I stir daily? I'm holding myself back but I really want to add in some oxygen and keep it going!

stirring is recommended for any fermentation regardless if kit, juice or must. stirring keeps the yeast suspended, adds oxygen to the wine and also keeps the must from forming a crust on top if using fruit or grapes. also stirring with fruit or grapes integrates color and flavor.

When I make a kit, I stir vigourously before pitching the yeast to ensure that the bentonite is well mixed, and that the juice/concentrate and water are mixed well. I have read that a good stir introduces sufficient O2 into the must. I stir gently every day ot two if there is something floating (grape skins, elderberries, elderflowers, oak tea bag). Once the fermentation starts, the action of the CO2 helps to keep the bentonite and yeast circulating.

Steve

For the reasons posted above I am thinking that I should stir and found it strange where it says to leave it for 5-7 days! Thanks for the justification that my inclination is correct!

Kit instructions are correct.

Not to say you cant adjust a bit, but following the instructions will never steer you wrong.

I don't believe any of my kit instructions called for stirring between yeast being pitched and stabilization/clearing/degassing phase. I now do generally stir once a day during "primary" before racking or in the case of low end kits air-locking for "secondary". I've done a few RJS VdV kits where I air-locked after pitching yeast and did not open the bucket until 14 days or so later to check for dry; the instructions allowed for this procedure.

10. If not using the yeast rehydration method, simply
sprinkle the contents of the yeast package on the
surface of the must. Do not stir.
11. Place cover (or lid with Airlock and Rubber Bung) onto
Primary Fermenter. If Airlock and bung are used, fill the
Airlock half-full of water.

Last edited:
It just seems strange for me not to stir daily but it is def active so all is good! 18 months from now I will know for sure!!

Latest posts

Back