Vineco Degassing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Junior
Reaction score
I am from the UK and have just started my 5th wine kit an LE Passport Series Pinot Noir.

This particular kit finishes the 2nd fermentation stage and then says to degass the wine several times (at least 6 to 8) over the next 2 days.

All my previous kits ( WE and Cellarcraft) have got me to degass in one go. Do I need to follow the instructions or am I safe to degass it in one go?

I am using plastic containers and not Carboys.

Seems to me it wouldn't matter whether you get the wine degassed in one go or several. Maybe this particular kit is harder to degas and that is why the instructions are to "degas" several times?

Degass until degassed. . What means are you using to Degass???

I have always found the WE degassing instructions a joke. The eclipse series says to degas for two minutes, then add the clarifier and degas for another two minutes. I even called them about it because because it usually takes me well over an hour using a wine whip and a drill. They reiterated that it only needs four minutes and that I must have set a record for doing it for an hour. I trust that they know what they are talking about but I can't imagine letting a $170 kit risk being gassy. I would degas till you're satisfied and move on.

I am using a plastic wine whip mounted in a drill. I normally do around 20 minutes in total.

This kit did say stir for one minute so I'm presuming they mean around 6- 8 minutes, but over 2 days. As I am using a plastic container that to me would introduce too much oxygen. As long as a degas am I right in saying it wouldn't make any difference?

Yep, to me degassed means you've gotten out all the CO2 you can reasonably get out with your chosen degassing method - irrespective of a given time period. Using a wine whip past the point of the wine be degassed (I suspect you never get every molecule of CO2 out of the wine and probably don't want or need it that degassed) I would think would then introduce O2 into your wine and to much of O2 would be a bad thing.

How long do you plan to bulk age? Don't worry about degassing until you get close to bottling. If you bulk age 9 months or more, time may have done all the work for you.

Degassing drove me crazy until I picked up the allinonewinekit you can find on winemakingtalk. Basically, racking under vacuum the couple of times you need to rack a kit will eliminate the gas as a side effect. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it, but you do need to have some glass bottles as you cannot vacuum into a plastic bottle.

steve

Back