Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled my first wine, an Apfelwein, and so figured that it needed a nice label.
Are you reusing screw caps on your bottles? If so I would suggest corking them. The screw caps are designed to only make a good seal once. I don't want to make any assumptions, just wanted to throw that out there just in case. :h

Spent Memorial day bottling since my Saturday was spent fixing the lawn mower. Check out this label for my Legacy Cab/Merlot and the Island Mist Green Apple Riesling. The Legacy label comes from Noon Time Labels.

Noon time legacy cab merlot 2013 sml.jpg

green apple riesling label sml.jpg

Spent Memorial day bottling since my Saturday was spent fixing the lawn mower. Check out this label for my Legacy Cab/Merlot and the Island Mist Green Apple Riesling. The Legacy label comes from Noon Time Labels.

Love em' both!:h

My label making skills need some work, but this is what I created for my Eclipse Chardonnay. I have both an oaked and unoaked version for each of the three gallon batches.

The cow is a picture of a piece of art work a friend of mine made and of old pieces of barn wood. I just used Gimp to cut it out and put it on the sky background.

2016 Flying Cow Chardonnay. Now, I just have to wait until I'm ready to bottle it. hah

hjga7K1KrCy6DA6-bUK2hjjHF97i_EDhMt-RltGzFoMUyS2jMDowTHf8S4ngxulIj_ERnaQi2NSBwP258bI-vi0aVBH4bzRrlzhD0n5wimw-jOlrA8FLD9W0OOB8S4nKd7C58s4gIXCoiMZf3I3Irqc3pPOnUUmzuIsL_-uPzlRi-JnmGAR-O4ssaWymzcorMpDtUApeiuZ37dFrvLlq5nXdQpcPeUhvMby9a7v7Wym4i-QbC_Afmd4FKCj0NxOdgwHywLPgc-Mo_WO2SF-HCVGN_waBJzoBoO7Z701ZZ6sPiBMGg6msOQGSZ7SX40L02qzlaYO6bfM_AbPQlyDQaEc_v59m9VrR13p2UmUDD08Pp6EBOmtOE3tHuqxY15qczoD_tCylS0NG1MXdvnrqBgZqwFB-q1QBEzbZNTLqtyUJYd6dQ0C-eYIp4BSSI3UoYlSbVkQnKY02Ln5h6dN_un4uCFgW_xRtUnUZfg4z0XDPFNJvw_gEqsiyIuOkup3cUrAeBgKZlo87dtlxbuScjIcKwZDzwtTN7nnb4nv_hjovK37XdKo2oJs_bgc5HbDOqDetpx912oJoUI3jokdcRnCCTaVVEyff=w403-h334-no

Are you reusing screw caps on your bottles? If so I would suggest corking them. The screw caps are designed to only make a good seal once. I don't want to make any assumptions, just wanted to throw that out there just in case. :h

Yeah I was reusing the screw caps, partly well mostly because I didn't have any serviceable corks in the house and I hadn't made the trip to the brew store to get some, and it was a 'good enough' solution.
They have since been corked and a shrink cap added.

Great labels...love the kitty. And great job matching the label design to the bottle. You'd be surprised how many people just accept a mismatch.
The kitty was my wife's work - I was just going to use a stylised outline of a cat from the internet, but my wife wanted to design something that looked like out cat. So she did a drawing and I converted it to an image.
As to the label - it was trivial work to convert it to the smaller style - thankyou layers and GIMP - and having done it, I think I like the smaller one better, and will probably keep that design going forward (less words/less cluttered)

2016 Flying Cow Chardonnay. Now, I just have to wait until I'm ready to bottle it.
Always the hardest part, nice job though, looks good.

The Island Mist Green Apple Riesling
Amazing job, looks really professional.

Last edited:
what size labels do you guys use for the burgundy and bordeaux 750mL bottles? I like the look of the longer ones on the bordeaux and the shorter ones on the burgundy...however, i don't know these dimensions. I've seen 3.33" x 4"

Bordeaux we use everything from 3.3 x4 in both vertical and horizontal (although vertical fits the bottle perfectly so you can see the entire label without wrapping around out of sight), 3 x 5 (makes the bottle look more slender), and 4 x 6. The large 4 x 6 you should make sure it will fit because different manufacturers bottles are slightly different and it's a really tight fit.

Burgundy you're limited to about 4" (again depends on manufacturer), and because of the shape a horizontal orientation usually looks better. We use 4 x 3.3 or 7 x 3 wrapped around (front and back label combo design).

Okay, I dumpped the flying cow label. I just couldn't get it to look like what I actually wanted.

I plan on bottling the Chardonnay next weekend, so here is the labels (oak / unoaked) that I've decided to use.

2016_April_Eclipse_Dry_Creek_Valley_Chardonnay_Labels.png

I believe I will also bottle my Shiraz and being a GoT fan and loving Tyrion's quote from the last season. I decided to name my Shiraz his quote.

2016_March_Eclipse_Barossa_Valley_Shariz_Label.png

Whoops, just noticed. I misspelled Barossa Valley on the label. Must fix!

Nice labels, what are you using to make them?

I used Stony Creek's labels and customized them, but my end goal is to become better at making labels using GIMP. (A free opensource Photoship clone of sort) Then use a blank white label and overlay the image I create.

I'm getting a lot better, but I'm just not there yet. I am ready to bottle these two so I just took a short cut.

Okay, I dumpped the flying cow label. I just couldn't get it to look like what I actually wanted.

I plan on bottling the Chardonnay next weekend, so here is the labels (oak / unoaked) that I've decided to use.

2016_April_Eclipse_Dry_Creek_Valley_Chardonnay_Labels.png

I LOVE the classy look of this label. Im not such a modern look kind of guy. Wine = class and deserves a classy label. You nailed it with this one...

Back