WineXpert Yeast for Malbec?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a WinExpert Selection International Argentinian Malbec kit. I am intending to do yeast swap for this, and seeking input on yeast variety.

In all of the usual places (Lallemand's or MoreWine's suggested pairings), Malbec is not listed. I have the following Lalvin yeasts available (or could get another, if advisable): BM45, RP15, ICV-D254, and RC212 (and am leaning slightly towards RP15).

Anyone have any input or experience on Malbec/yeast pairing? Also, any other recommended tweaks for Malbec? (I will probably add oak and tannins later.)

Last edited:
I used D254 on a Malbec juice bucket back in the spring. That one is still waiting for it's turn in the barrel, but I have no problems with it so far.

Any yeast that would work well for a Bordeaux varietal (Malbec used to be more dominant in Bordeaux wines) would probably do well with a Malbec. I would not use RC-212 as I think you could get more out of other yeast. It would be better than EC-1118, though. I would use BM4X4 over BM45 if you can get it. It's a more reliable formulation.

I just got a WinExpert Selection International Argentinian Malbec kit. I am intending to do yeast swap for this, and seeking input on yeast variety.
Which yeast comes with the kit? If it is anything other than EC-1118, I would not recommend swapping the yeast because of the testing that WE does. Actually, because of that testing, I'm not sure that I would swap EC-1118 either.

(To my knowledge, WE is the only manufacturer that does a lot of testing of the yeasts.)

Steve

(To my knowledge, WE is the only manufacturer that does a lot of testing of the yeasts.) Steve

I heard RJS did at one point, but the testing showed that the difference for some yeasts like RC-212 just wasn't significant enough to merit the extra fermentation management skills. IMO, RC-212 barely makes any difference at all (if at all).

BTW, you can get BM4X4 off Amazon if you can't find it at an LHBS. I have 2 of the big internet vendors/LHBS's nearby (NB and Midwest) and neither of them carry anything but the ordinary standards.

I actually don't know what came with the kit, as I haven't opened it yet. I was under the impression that everyone just stuck ec-1118 in there, but I admit I have done only one WE kit before. (It came with ec-1118.)

Northern Brewer is my LHBS, too, and, as you say, they only carry the Lalvin "big 5." Ergo, I bought some yeasts from MoreWine!. Since they are so cheap and shipping is so expensive, I bought a number of them. Of course, I did not want to buy more than I would likely use in the next 6 mos. or so. Anyway, I bought some BM45, RP15, and ICV-D254. As I just posted elsewhere, I am planning to "work my way up" to fussier yeasts by practicing my nutrient-management skills. But I will go home and check which yeast WE supplied. Thanks!

Which yeast comes with the kit? If it is anything other than EC-1118, I would not recommend swapping the yeast because of the testing that WE does. Actually, because of that testing, I'm not sure that I would swap EC-1118 either.

(To my knowledge, WE is the only manufacturer that does a lot of testing of the yeasts.)

Steve

Considering the near ubiquity of EC-1118 and the success people have had at substituting on their own, it would be interesting to see just how such yeast substitution tests are conducted and to what extent.

Make sure that the yeast you choose is "concentrate friendly". Apparently, kit concentrate has some unique qualities that pure juice or pressed grapes don't.

Okay, I checked the contents. To no one's surprise, the yeast is ec-1118. There are two of the largest packs of chitosan I have ever seen. Very nice labels and a large grape pack. And finally, there is oak sawdust for the primary AND oak cubes for the secondary! Woo-hooo! :)

Just a brief update: I added yeast nutrient at the 1/3 sugar mark, and the wine made it to essentially dry with no off-odors. I am now at SG=1.004, and will rack to secondary tomorrow.

The original reason for this thread was that the tables of recommended yeast pairings that I had hitherto read did not list Malbec as a choice of grape. I just came across a table in Scott Labs' 2013 handbook. It lists the following yeast as "highly recommended" for Malbec (in alphabetical order):
BRL97
CLOS
ICV-D254
NT202
RP15

(Also, RBS133 is "recommended," not "highly recommended.")

As detailed above, my final choices came down to RP15 and D254, and I chose RP15. I'd rather be lucky than good, I guess! :)

Last edited:
The original reason for this thread was that the tables of recommended yeast pairings that I had hitherto read did not list Malbec as a choice of grape. I just came across a table in Scott Labs' 2013 handbook. It lists the following yeast as "highly recommended" for Malbec (in alphabetical order):
BRL97
CLOS
ICV-D254
NT202
RP15

(Also, RBS133 is "recommended," not "highly recommended.")

As detailed above, my final choices came down to RP15 and D254, and I chose RP15. I'd rather be lucky than good, I guess! :)

Paul, thanks for the investigation, the link however does not work.

Just an update: I bottled the WE Argentinian Malbec this afternoon (about 3.5 mos. after pitching yeast). It is very promising. It had just a hint of KT, but other than that, it was practically ready to drink now! I insisted on a rigorous quality control regimen :ib during bottling, and it passed with flying colors. Don't worry, I will not commit vinfanticide, but will let it age gracefully. But I am very pleased with this so far.

I made this same kit at the same time you did probably.
I only put the oak cubes that came with it and did a quick taste test a couple weeks ago and wasn't impressed with its flavor/body; it's been sitting in a carboy in my garage since it cleared and racked.

I'l do another test soon to see where it is. Did you add any other oak?

Varis: I don't recall exactly how much oak came with the kit. My notes say that I added 60 g French heavy toasted chips (that I am sure came with kit) to primary.

When I racked to clear, I added "30 g French oak -- med+ or so." I am not sure, but I think this came with the kit.

But I also added 1.5 g Tannin Riche when I racked off the clearing sediment to bulk age.

@sour_grapes and @geek, how did your Malbecs turn out? Would you do anything different?

Latest posts

Back