Help! Can I save this mess?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the carboy it is. It's also advisable to top up the carboy after degassing to avoid over exposure to oxygen.

Live and learn...

I've certainly learned a lot over the past 2 weeks, here on the forum.
I wish this had been my first stop!
After 2 weeks of spinning my wheels, I'm ready to start over from scratch.
Staring woefully at my carboy, I realize I have 3 gallons of yeast-flavored prune juice, with 0% alcohol content. Hey! Maybe I can donate it to the local rest home.
The original post was "can I save this mess?" After 40 posts, I guess the answer is NO.
I think the killing blow was the 4 oz of yeast, which should have been 1 oz., and the 4 pounds of sugar, which should have been closer to 8.
Thank you all for getting me in touch with reality.

Didn't save it.

This was the mess I had after 3 weeks I did just about everything wrong, beginning with following some guy's advice who claimed he made "200 gal a year" with this so-called recipe. I had Italian prunes. I started out with pasteurized PULP (pitted, skins on), with the sugar already added. Then ended up putting 48x the necessary amount of yeast in it. Combination of carbonated prune juice, dead yeast, and who knows how much alcohol. My second batch is working just as it should, so this was not worth saving and frustrating myself more.
I'll post a picture of the "good stuff" as soon as I rack it in a couple days.
First wine.jpg

Last edited:
Too much yeast isn't likely to be the culprit btw ..

yeast only multiplies up until all the sugars are consumed.

Allie

:bt

Too much yeast isn't likely to be the culprit btw ..

yeast only multiplies up until all the sugars are consumed.

Allie

:bt
They certainly were! I should have said BITTER, carbonated yeast water. :p
Seriously, if I had sulfite'd it, and meticulously sterilized everything, I might have tried to wait it out, F-pak'd it, and back sweetened. But I'm on my way toward apple jack, so I chalked it up to experience.

Last edited:
I would have bulk stored it.. left it to its own devices for a year..

however, can afford to do that.. I have spare carboys now.

You'd be surprised how much things can change in a years time...

Allie

SEE Artic some one else uses condoms as air looks. But condoms on the airlocks, Wine cant get pregenant or AIDS

SEE Artic some one else uses condoms as air looks. But condoms on the airlocks, Wine cant get pregenant or AIDS

Those carboys look like leprosy got them before a condom could save them..

Allie

Sorry Mike. I am probably guilty of a lot of things, but, those are not my condoms, and I don't use canning jars except for pickled salmon. LOL!!!!

Troy

I actually bought my first airlocks last week. They look pretty simalir to those that are "protected" LOL. I have always used a blow by tube, simply a hose going into a sulfite solution, it can burp, but it cant burp back.

Troy

I understand the condoms use but it is on a airlock so did you lose the top for the airlock?

Who?, not mine!! I may go so far as to fortify a wine, or go for a high ABV, but impregnating my wine is something I am not worried about. LOL. Geez, I am not even sure if my wine likes me so I probably couldn't get that far if I tried. ROTFLMAO!

Troy

I understand the condoms use but it is on a airlock so did you lose the top for the airlock?
Wade, I "stole" that pic off the web as a joke, when Allie was telling me to wait a year on my plum wine. :tz

(BTW: those Mason jars contain sauerkraut)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back