Vineco 2nd fermentation and SPG question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post I have been lurking for a while. I am a newbie and have made 2 kits they both turned out successfully. Now I have 2 going a vineco legacy cab sauv and a vineco legacy pino grigio. I started 2nd fermentation on both 6 days ago and havnt seen much activity in carboys or airlocks. So today i checked SPG and both are at .990 according to the instructions .995 or less and they are ready for degassing but should of taken another 8 days to get to that SPG. So my question is should I move on to the next step degassing or wait another 8 days. I might add the only thing I did differnt this time was using heat belts on them because of the time of year its cooling of in the basement. Any comments or abvise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I have made a LOT of Vineco kits, as I used to run a Ferment on Premises. Most were under 1.000 in 7 days.

Personally, I always until the time has expired, then check the sg, then continue.

Patience is a definite virtue for winemakers.

Steve

Timelines given in instructions are general by design. Lots of factors can result in variations from those timelines. In your case, the heat belts sped up the process a little,,,, very normal. As you can see, the overwhelming consensus points to the hidden ingredient,,,, TIME/PATIENCE! Can't go wrong and you will be rewarded:db

I would degas now and proceed with adding other additives especially k-meta. wine without protection is more of a risk the wine is dry at .990. another 8 days will gain nothing. the patience is required on the aging end. wait until wine has aged quite a while before drinking.

Latest posts

Back