Prickly Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowgirl812001

Still learning:)
Reaction score
I am VERY new to this but I also make prickly pear jelly and have lots of juice i have frozen. I want to try to make it into wine but am having trouble with finding a recipe to go from. I am going to be doing a 1 gallon batch. I've seen many recipes that have the fruit in them, I guess I am looking for help on exactly how much of the juice to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So, a gallon of juice then? Sorry, may be a stupid question, but I really don't know what i'm doing yet. :/

Ok, I found this recipe on FVW's site. It looks ok to me, but without the water right? And at what stage would I sweeten it? Thanks :)

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:

3 qts. Prickly Pear
1-1/4 cup Raisins
2 pints Water
2 lbs. Sugar
3/4 tsp. Yeast Energizer
2 tsp. Acid Blend
1 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1/8 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite
1 pkg. Wine Yeast

Keep your acid tester and hydrometer handy. As with all wild fruit the sugar and acid content varies greatly from year to year and even from one location to another. The recipe above is a general recipe to use which you may have to adjust.

Directions:

Break or singe off stickers. Wash, chop and mash up prickly pears and chop up raisins.
Put prickly pears and raisins in the nylon straining and place in the primary fermenter.
Add water and all remaining ingredients, except yeast. Stir well.
Cover primary fermenter.
Wait 24 hours, then add yeast and re-cover primary fermenter.
Stir daily, check S.G. and press pulp lightly to aid extraction.
When S.G. reaches 1.040 (usually 3-5 days), lightly press juice from bag. Then syphon juice into glass container and attach airlock.
When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
To aid in clearing, syphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.
Allow the wine to age.

To sweeten your wine, add 1/2 stabilizer, 1/8 tsp. potassium metabisulfite and stir. Then add1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon and stir again.

Latest posts

Back