Mosti Mondiale Initial S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admiral

Reaction score
I recently (2/16) started a Vinefera Noble Cabernet Sauvignon and a VF Zinfandel. I followed the kit directions. The initial S.G. for the Cab was 1.082. The initial S.G. for the Zin was 1.084. This seems low to me. My hydrometer is properly calibrated and the initial temp. for both was 74*. Are these readings low? If so, how to correct?

If fermented to dry you should get about 11-12%if thats your worry

Thanks for the reply gaudet. That is about what I figured on ABV. No, it just seemed low for a VFN. They have been running 1.086 to 1.088. Who knows, maybe I added too much water.

Smaller kits do produce a slightly lower abv wine, Not sure why they do this but it seems like all the smaller kits are this way.

Thanks wade.
smiley1.gif

My personal feeling in this matter is that cheaper kits don't use quite as much high quality juice in their kits. Because of that there is a bit less flavor involved. So that doesn't get overwhelmed with alcohol, they purposely keep the sugar and thus alcohol down.

Thanks appleman. That makes sense to me. Racked them both to secondary today. Cab at 1.022 and Zin at 1.020. Both bubbling away like crazy.
smiley1.gif

Both of these fermented out to .996. I racked them and let them sit for six weeks. This week I racked and added clarifying agents. The cab tasted pretty smoky (due to toasted oak that I used) and was somewhat thin and slightly bitter.The zin was excellent. Good mouth feel, with a definite zin nose and taste.

Now to clarify and then bottle.
smiley1.gif

Here they are clarifying:

20090411_151840_P1000402_Small.JPG

The Cabernet Sauvignon

20090411_152139_P1000403_Small.JPG

The Zinfandel

I see you have the zin set up with a drinking spout. I like those- just set it up on a chair, lay down on the floor under the spigot and crack 'er open. Don't need to worry about getting tipsy cause yer already layen on thu groun. Hic.....

Appleman, You speak from experience?

I bet the smell as good as they look.

Appleman, you saw right through me. Just a little taste here, and a little taste there. Oh, I wonder how it is doing? Better try a little taste. Hmmmm, maybe a little more.

Tepe, you are right about the smells.

I bottled both of these plus my gallon of apple wine. Here are some photos:

20090422_064126_P1000436_Small.JPG

A total of 63 750ml bottles + 4 375ml. I feel like my cup runneth over!
smiley1.gif

20090422_064440_P1000437_Small.JPG

The Zinfandel. The taste was really good. Not much varietal character to the nose just yet. The mouthfeel was very smooth and though not jammy, it was very fruity.

20090422_065055_P1000438_Small.JPG

The Apple. This one surprised me. A month ago, when I racked it, it tasted very rough. It was like the parts were all there but all were trying to talk at once and be heard over the others. Today, a much more harmonious character wasevident. Smoother, with a very nice nose although I had difficulty picking up the apple. SWMBO thought it tasted like a young Chardonnay.

20090422_065747_P1000439_Small.JPG

The Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine also tasted great for such a young wine. The difference with this wine is the smoky smell of the toasted oak. I did add some extra cubes to this wine during secondary fermentation. When I racked after secondary, the nose was very strong with the smoky oak. I didn't like it. Today, the smoky oak nose was less evident but still present. I hope that with time it will become less so.

A very busy winery day. Whew! I needed a drink!
smiley1.gif

admiral said:
I bottled both of these plus my gallon of apple wine. Here are some photos:
I must be getting old and my eyes are failing.. What Photo's?

Like Jimmy Buffett says.. "It's 5 O'clock somewhere"

LOL

Latest posts

Back