potassium metabisulfite and yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm purchasing 10 cases (lugs) of grapes.

I've been advised to add 1 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite right after crushing. Is this amount accurate?

I've also been advised to add 20 packs (5 grams each) of yeast 24 hours later. Is this amount accurate? I was told that the general rule of thumb is 2 packs per case. Just wanted to double check this.

Mario

don't know how much you lugs weigh but 12-15 lbs of grapes make one gallon of finished. wine.

k-meta dose would be 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons of fished wine.

yeast dosage is one gram per gallon of finished wine. assuming 36 lbs a lug=360lbs divided by 15 equals 24 gallons of finshed wine so 5 packets at 5 grams each should do it for the yeast.

don"t forget the yeast nutrient. Hydrate the yeast with Go-Ferm at 1.25 grams per gallon of finished wine in 17ml of water for each gallon. once ferment starts at Fermaid-K at rate of one gram per gallon.

yes I am aware that the additives are to crushed grapes, but to make the calculations easy to do I use the anticipated wine that will be made once the crushed grapes are fermented and pressed that is the finished wine. This assumption is fairly accurate as the amount of juice produced when crushed is very close to the amount of wine you will have after pressing.

If the grapes are in good shape, you can do without any K-meta until fermentation completes. That's what I do.

Latest posts

Back