final specific gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanib

Junior
Reaction score
So if your final specific gravity is below 1.000, say 0.985. How should I calculate my ABV? It seems like most references say to use your initial specific gravity and just read the ABV off the hydrometer scale...but then that doesn't take into account how low below 1.000 you go. Should I use one of the equations instead?

Since all my wine is for personal use, I don't get to fussy.. If my starting SG is at 12% and it ferments dry (below 1.00) then I say its 12%.. Why get picky? But hey, thats just me..

Initial SG - Final SG x 1.33 = ABV is the general calculation.

So if your final specific gravity is below 1.000, say 0.985. How should I calculate my ABV? It seems like most references say to use your initial specific gravity and just read the ABV off the hydrometer scale...but then that doesn't take into account how low below 1.000 you go. Should I use one of the equations instead?

.985 is pretty low. I am not at home, but I don't think my hydrometer even goes that low!

Latest posts

Back