Wine Kitz currants vs raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello!

My question to the masses is, is there a difference between currants and raisins?

I have a winexpert petite verdot where I was planing on adding currants. I ate a few and noticed they taste like raisins.

Also anyone know where I could find wine raisins?

Not 100 percent certain but I think raisins are made from green grapes and currants are made from red. In other words, both are dried grapes but each are made from a different cultivar. I have no answer for your question about "wine raisins". I think I always assumed that wine grapes being far more expensive than eating grapes no one would dry them to sell as raisins but I may be way off base here.

Raisins come from any number of grape types. Currents come from black Corinth grapes, a vinifera grape (thanks joeswines for the education). To me, that means currents would be better for your application. I would use raisins for wines like sangiovese, amarone, maybe valpolacella. Just one opinion

Only the Zante currants (which is not a true currant) are from grapes. There are several berry plants, not related to grapes except that they are "plants," such as black currants, red currants and white currants. That being said, most of the "currants" that I see in the stores are Zante currants.

Back