Take the Survey - Enter to Win WMT Wineglasses!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Yeast, Additives & Wine Making Science > Fermax Yeast Nutrient

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Flame145
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Flame145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 193
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fermax Yeast Nutrient

I just crushed 25 cases of a Cab, Merlot, and Cab Franc today. I will pitch the yeast tomorrow. I am looking for how much of the fermax yeast nutrient I add, and when ??? Can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Bryan

__________________
Flame145 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Julie
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Julie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saxonburg, PA
Posts: 10,035
Liked 765 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Default

Does it say on the package on how much to use per gallon? I add mine with I add all the other ingredients prior to adding yeast.

__________________

Julie

Here is what I have done!

Julie is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Wade E
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Wade E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Naugatuck, Ct.
Posts: 33,466
Liked 239 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Usually its 1 tsp per gallon right when adding everything 24 hours before adding your yeast.

__________________
Gone Fishin'....be back at dark-thirty!
Wade E is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Tom
Original Senior Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Delanco, New Jersey
Posts: 11,328
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade E View Post
Usually its 1 tsp per gallon right when adding everything 24 hours before adding your yeast.
Ditto;

Thats what I use.
__________________
Fermenting
Tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
PCharles
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Morganton, North Carolina
Posts: 460
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default When To add Yeast Nutrient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame145 View Post
I just crushed 25 cases of a Cab, Merlot, and Cab Franc today. I will pitch the yeast tomorrow. I am looking for how much of the fermax yeast nutrient I add, and when ??? Can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Bryan
On page 18 of this reference http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf you will find the text I'm posting below.

From MoreWine Guide to Red Winemaking (page 18)
Fermaid-K (AD345): To complement your Go-Ferm addition once fermentation has started, we suggest using Fermaid-K, a complete yeast nutrient also made by Lallemand. Fermaid-K is usually applied at the beginning of the fermentation (cap formation) and again at 1/3 sugar depletion (usually an 8-10 ºBrix drop). A double addition supplies the yeast with enough nutrients to maintain a healthy metabolism throughout the fermentation. In a warm starting fermentation, an 8-10 ºBrix drop may take place in the first two days, so be sure to check your ºBrix early on Day 2. Some winemakers choose to add Fermaid-K in smaller amounts on a daily basis, usually starting on day 1. This is also a fine approach. However, yeast will utilize few nutrients after 10% alcohol. (a 15 ºBrix drop) Additions made after 10% alcohol may only serve to feed spoilage organisms. (Note: 1 g/gal Fermaid-k = 25 ppm Nitrogen)
__________________
Will Work For Wine
PCharles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Flame145
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Flame145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 193
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCharles View Post
On page 18 of this reference http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf you will find the text I'm posting below.

From MoreWine Guide to Red Winemaking (page 18)
Fermaid-K (AD345): To complement your Go-Ferm addition once fermentation has started, we suggest using Fermaid-K, a complete yeast nutrient also made by Lallemand. Fermaid-K is usually applied at the beginning of the fermentation (cap formation) and again at 1/3 sugar depletion (usually an 8-10 ºBrix drop). A double addition supplies the yeast with enough nutrients to maintain a healthy metabolism throughout the fermentation. In a warm starting fermentation, an 8-10 ºBrix drop may take place in the first two days, so be sure to check your ºBrix early on Day 2. Some winemakers choose to add Fermaid-K in smaller amounts on a daily basis, usually starting on day 1. This is also a fine approach. However, yeast will utilize few nutrients after 10% alcohol. (a 15 ºBrix drop) Additions made after 10% alcohol may only serve to feed spoilage organisms. (Note: 1 g/gal Fermaid-k = 25 ppm Nitrogen)

I also read that, but that was for femaid-K and I think it was with the addition of DAP also.

I went with 1 tsp. per gallon. I ended up adding 1/2 the amount and will add another 1/2 when fermentation is 1/3 to 1/2 done. Thank you for the response.
__________________
Flame145 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Flame145
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Flame145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 193
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Does it say on the package on how much to use per gallon? I add mine with I add all the other ingredients prior to adding yeast.
Julie, for some odd reason it doesn't say on the package. I thought that was odd too. Usually everything has a recommended usage from the company. Apparantly Fermax doesn't think it is needed. Go figure
__________________
Flame145 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
PCharles
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Morganton, North Carolina
Posts: 460
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Fermax

Here is a link that I found that provides some good information regarding Mermax.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

I found these measurements for Fermax on the page listed above.

What is a proper dose of DAP and Fermax™ for a wine?
The answer largely depends upon the source and quality of your juice. In general, if you press your own grapes or buy fresh or frozen juice from a vineyard, your doses will be higher than if you make your wine from a wine kit.

If making wine from fresh or frozen juice (not processed - just straight grape juice), here are the recommended doses of DAP and Fermax™:
- 1 gram DAP / liter
- 1 gram Fermax™ / US gallon

If making wine from a wine kit*, the proper doses would be:
- 0.2 to 0.4 grams DAP / liter
- 0.1 to 0.2 grams Fermax™ / US gallon

For example, let's say you have 6 US gallons of fresh grape juice from your backyard that you want to make into wine. Based on the chart above, your recommended doses would be calculated like this:

1 US gallon = 3.79 liters, so 6 gallons = 22.71 liters
Total DAP dose: 22.71 grams
Total Fermax™: 6 grams

Following our dosage recipe, we would add:
- 11.35 grams of DAP and 2 grams of Fermax™ before adding yeast
- 11.35 grams of DAP and 2 grams of Fermax™ once fermentation starts
- 2 grams of Fermax™ at 12-8° Brix

__________________
Will Work For Wine
PCharles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Flame145
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Flame145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 193
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCharles View Post
Here is a link that I found that provides some good information regarding Mermax.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

I found these measurements for Fermax on the page listed above.

What is a proper dose of DAP and Fermax™ for a wine?
The answer largely depends upon the source and quality of your juice. In general, if you press your own grapes or buy fresh or frozen juice from a vineyard, your doses will be higher than if you make your wine from a wine kit.

If making wine from fresh or frozen juice (not processed - just straight grape juice), here are the recommended doses of DAP and Fermax™:
- 1 gram DAP / liter
- 1 gram Fermax™ / US gallon

If making wine from a wine kit*, the proper doses would be:
- 0.2 to 0.4 grams DAP / liter
- 0.1 to 0.2 grams Fermax™ / US gallon

For example, let's say you have 6 US gallons of fresh grape juice from your backyard that you want to make into wine. Based on the chart above, your recommended doses would be calculated like this:

1 US gallon = 3.79 liters, so 6 gallons = 22.71 liters
Total DAP dose: 22.71 grams
Total Fermax™: 6 grams

Following our dosage recipe, we would add:
- 11.35 grams of DAP and 2 grams of Fermax™ before adding yeast
- 11.35 grams of DAP and 2 grams of Fermax™ once fermentation starts
- 2 grams of Fermax™ at 12-8° Brix
I have also read that. I do not have any DAP. On another note Diamonium Phosphate is one of the ingredient in fermax. That is why I was looking for a regimen just for the addition of Fermax. Apparently no one seems to have. Don't know why, but the best I could find, is 1 tsp. per gallon. Use 1/2 the amount after the lag phase and the other 1/2 after 1/3 to 1/2 complete of the fermentation. Thanks anyway.
__________________
Flame145 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast Nutrient and Yeast Energizer for Skeeter Pee LJPelletier Skeeter Pee 8 11-27-2011 03:59 PM
Yeast Nutrient Turned My Yeast Starter Green! ericerler Beginners Wine Making Forum 1 05-30-2011 07:32 PM
How much yeast nutrient to put in for 6 gal? abefroman Beginners Wine Making Forum 3 10-23-2010 02:27 PM
Yeast Nutrient gfrank07 General Wine Making Forum 9 06-22-2010 08:39 AM
yeast nutrient victank1 General Wine Making Forum 6 01-13-2009 03:00 PM