WineMakingTalk Wineglasses - Get them before the Holiday Rush!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Other Select International Chilean Cab Sav

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
72Chevelle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Select International Chilean Cab Sav

I have a wine kit (my first) that I have gotten to the bottling phase. Before bottling I tasted the wine and it was awful. Now I know that these kits for the reds are known to be thin because of its lack of skins, however the taste was very off as well. so now my dilemma, do I bottle as is and hope that it improves in 3 or 6 months. Or should I try and take action like adding raisins or something else?????

Thanks for the advise in advance and I am sure I am leaving out some important information anything thats needed please feel free to ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
cpfan

Liked 110 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Chevelle View Post
I have a wine kit (my first) that I have gotten to the bottling phase. Before bottling I tasted the wine and it was awful. Now I know that these kits for the reds are known to be thin because of its lack of skins, however the taste was very off as well. so now my dilemma, do I bottle as is and hope that it improves in 3 or 6 months. Or should I try and take action like adding raisins or something else?????

Thanks for the advise in advance and I am sure I am leaving out some important information anything thats needed please feel free to ask.
Can you give us some idea of what was wrong with the taste? "Awful" covers a lot of ground.

Steve

Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
SouthernChemist
Disgruntled PhD

Liked 82 Times on 73 Posts

Second on the need for more description. I assume this wine is only ~6 weeks old or so? As long as nothing bad has happened to the wine, I think judgement should be reserved until a significant amount of time has passed.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
72Chevelle

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

The taste is very watery, I can taste the alcohol a little in it. So if it is just really young should I bulk age it in the carboy or should I go ahead and bottle and wait to see in a few months? Also what types of tastes am I looking for in a young wine.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
bkisel

Liked 274 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Does the kit manufacture guarantee satisfaction? If so and you stick with the instructions and later still find the wine awful the manufacturer should take care of you.

Bill

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
72Chevelle

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

after a little more research and the Norther website, it looks like its normal. I guess I need to just bottle and give it time... one of the ratings on the site is as follows.
My go to red wine preference Review by MiTreats
Rating
I've made this twice and at the price, $3 per bottle, it's hard to go wrong. You're able to drink this right on bottling day when it'll be more fruity. The longer it ages the less prominent is the berry flavor, and the pepper and oak begin to show. Two to three years is probably the preferred time to drink it but it's hard to wait! (Posted on 7/27/10)

Quick Reply