Take the Survey - Enter to Win WMT Wineglasses!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Making from Grapes > which one? juice buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
kendo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default which one? juice buckets?

besides the grapes ,, i want to do a few juice buckets, now the choice's i have are santa clara, collina del sol,, festa brand,, im looking for a half decent cabernet sauv, zin, merlot buckets which of these brands has good juice?..thk u..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
kendo

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Woooooooooooooooooowwww.. Noboby does the juice buckets??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Pumpkinman

Liked 625 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 755

I make Juice buckets, I will usually purchase any of the Italian Juices that M&M Juice grape Company offers.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
seth8530
The Atomic Wine Maker

Liked 346 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I ordered 12 gallons of chard juice buckets. My guess is that you are better off sticking to white wines for juice buckets.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Julie
Super Moderator

Liked 771 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo View Post
besides the grapes ,, i want to do a few juice buckets, now the choice's i have are santa clara, collina del sol,, festa brand,, im looking for a half decent cabernet sauv, zin, merlot buckets which of these brands has good juice?..thk u..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo View Post
Woooooooooooooooooowwww.. Noboby does the juice buckets??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????
Calm down, sometimes it takes awhile for people to get thru all the posts and unfortunately some do get missed.

Cab sauv or the zin are pretty good juice buckets. You really can't go wrong with either one of these.

Julie

Here is what I have done!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
JohnT
Oeno-sapien

Liked 1252 Times on 849 Posts
Likes Given: 536

I agree with Seth. If you are making wine from fresh grapes anyway, I would stick to fresh grapes for my reds. You will find the end product to have more body, color, and mouthfeel.

Like seth, I do not see any major downfalls in using bucket juice for white wines.

May we live as long as we want, but never want as long as we live.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Pumpkinman

Quote:
My guess is that you are better off sticking to white wines for juice buckets.
Why is this?

I have 2 - 5 Gallon batches of Amarone from Juice buckets that are incredible, another few months in the barrels and they will be ready to bottle.
Add a grape pack to the juice buckets (red) and they will be incredible. I purchase a lot of higher end (within reason) Italian Reds, so far everyone that has tried these wines agree that these are as good, and sometimes better than the bottles that I've bought.

If you start making a Juice bucket under the pretense that you can only make mediocre wine from it, you will only make a mediocre wine thinking that it has reached its potential....

Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
seth8530
The Atomic Wine Maker

Liked 346 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinman View Post
Why is this?

I have 2 - 5 Gallon batches of Amarone from Juice buckets that are incredible, another few months in the barrels and they will be ready to bottle.
Add a grape pack to the juice buckets (red) and they will be incredible. I purchase a lot of higher end (within reason) Italian Reds, so far everyone that has tried these wines agree that these are as good, and sometimes better than the bottles that I've bought.

If you start making a Juice bucket under the pretense that you can only make mediocre wine from it, you will only make a mediocre wine thinking that it has reached its potential....
I did not mean to imply that you can not make good red wine from a juice bucket but the skin contact is so important for red wines is why I would go with non inoculated must for a red wine. Adding grape packs is one thing that you can do to make a red juice bucket better, but I cant help but wonder how much better could it be if you had the actual skins? What I am trying to put out is that when available I would use frozen must over a red juice any day.

Not that I am knocking using grape skins on a juice bucket because I believe it is a great idea.

BTW, last paragraph, very true words and something every winemaker should keep in mind.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Pumpkinman

Seth,
I am going to buy a lug or so of Merlot, M&M has them really reasonable, I plan on making my own grape packs from fresh grapes.
I wish that I had enough Amarone to send anyone that has doubts about Juice buckets a bottle.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
chrisjw

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Woooooooooooooooooowwww! Oh sorry, I just dropped a carboy on my foot. Just kidding, have not done that ... yet.

uh, I believe Kendo's original question was about what juice bucket brand was good and Kendo has Santa Clara, Collina del Sol, and Festa brands available. Sorry, I have only done 1 fresh juice bucket (an Amarone) and it was very good after year 1 and so so after that, and it was not one of your brands.

Wine Making Status

Quick Reply