Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Making from Grapes > Frontenac Grape Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 434 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Standard conventional wisdom says the vertical shoot positioning is best fro Frontenac and most academics agree with that. That way you can get more light to the grapes for higher suagars and lower acids. Do I agree? Well not necessarily.......

After two years of trials in my vineyard, I find the Frontenac to yield higher and have better grapes using a 4 arm kniffen than VSP. Yields can be substantially higher, sugars equal or higher and acid levels lower. It also requires less labor to attain that.

Are these results conclusive? No, but it should help you realize there is more than one way to do things. The important thing is to maintain a state of open canopy with clusters helping to balance vigor. To see the reports for these two years of trial, go to my website and then the research tab on the menu. There are even some videos that will help you see more of the results for this year.

www.hipvineyard.com

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
AlFulchino
Winemaker of 30+ years

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

this variety is so vigorous that you can easily use a 4 arm system...i use scott henry trellis..loads of fruit...the four arms on my site help control it some but i still had to hedge 3x......last yr we had so much heat that acid and ph were terrific as as flavor profile and brix......i use this as a primary grape in one of my blends....it came out outstanding

also in two yrs thus far i have not had to put thru mlf ( for what it is worth) and i used native yeast....med toast am oak....give it nine months minimum in the barrel..stabilize appropriately along the way...monitor the flavor profile....leave alone or blend if you want other flavors

the wine sold out in its innaugaral vintage 2009

To Purchase Our Wines Outside the State of New Hampshire,
Visit https://www.vinoshipper.com/ and select Fulchino Vineyard.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fulchino-Vineyard/370345374369?ref=search&sid=100000865527291.285995 401..1
"I Got My Vino at Fulchino's"

Last edited by AlFulchino; 01-26-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
midwestwine

Mlf was completed about a month ago and is sitting in a carboy aging. Tastes ok but needs a lot more time.

Matt

Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
countrygirl

thanks for quick info! i find myself fascinated with grape varietals, but my lack of knowledge is frustrating. i will check ur websites, too. i loved visiting the vineyard in missouri last year. i have made a couple of connections locally since then, but now i have to be patient for good weather to start visiting!!

**i find wine improves with age...the older i get, the better i like it***

Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Fuegofan

My wine is progressing nicely. To quickly update with dates, September 19 was when I added 4 ounces of American oak chips to the 6.5 gallon carboy. I had a 750 mL bottle also, but didn't add oak to that one.

October 24 I racked the wine off the lees, filling a 5 gallon carboy and a 1.5 L bottle, and drank the 2 full glasses that were left over. The wine in the little bottle was cloudier than the carboy wine. The carboy wine was less fruity, drier, and clearer than the non-oaked wine, but both were still a bit sour. Specific gravity was 1.0000. I moved the 5 gal carboy and the 1.5 L bottle to my basement. Four days later the temperature of the carboy was 66 degrees fahrenheit (upstairs it had been in the 70s). By December the temp had dropped to 58 degrees F.

January 3 I moved the carboy to the garage, which stayed between 35 and 28 F. The 1.5 L looked like it had sparklies on the bottom of it, so I just left it in the basement.

January 17 I chilled the 1.5 L in 32 degree weather for about 8 hours. I moved everything back to the basement for a while, then racked the wine into a new 5 gal carboy and filled two 750 mL bottles. Lots of sediment was left in both carboy and bottle. When I sampled it was about 42 degrees F, so very cold, and tasted carbonated. The sourness had gone down dramatically. I left the carboy and one bottle in the basement, then took the other bottle with me to dinner. Two hours later, warmer, having sat, the wine was MUCH better. The CO2 had worked its way out and was no longer noticeable. Some bitterness went with it. I think the wine is now delightful. It's young and sprightly on the mouth. One person said it's very grapey. Another person said he could taste the development of berry flavors. I find a flavor that I can't really name other than calling it a distinctive Frontenac flavor. It has some complexity, but it's mostly a straightforward wine. It paired nicely with food and is great by itself. But I'm a bit of a biased proud pappa I'm sure.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
countrygirl

oh, fuegofan, it sounds awesome! i assume your "sparklies" were wine diamonds?? i'm sure this will age to perfection!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Fuegofan

I've never had a confirmed sighting of wine diamonds by an expert, but I'm guessing so. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
AlFulchino
Winemaker of 30+ years

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fuegofan....sample this at a true room temp....68-74.....see if the acidity is ok....you stated you placed it outside for eight hours for what i assume was your effort at cold stabilization to reduce acidity....typically this is not long enough to drop any serious acid...since i did not see any acid numbers for when you started, you have me curious now.....either you got great grapes ( which would be super!!!) with perhaps a long hot growing season in your area? and the acidity dropped, which usually does not occur in normal conditions w this grape...OR when you test at room temp you may detect more acidity than you did w the lower temp sampling

just curious here...

To Purchase Our Wines Outside the State of New Hampshire,
Visit https://www.vinoshipper.com/ and select Fulchino Vineyard.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fulchino-Vineyard/370345374369?ref=search&sid=100000865527291.285995 401..1
"I Got My Vino at Fulchino's"

Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Fuegofan

AlFuchino--Actually, the 5 gallon carboy was at 32 F for two weeks, only the 1.5 L bottle was out for 8 hours, and it already had what may have been wine diamonds in it, so I think it had already precipitated. On Sept 7 the TA was 1.125. No idea what it is now. It has gotten much less sour over the months. The grapes were grown in northern Indiana, near the Indiana Dunes, which did have a long, hot summer. For better or for worse, they stayed on the vine a week or so longer than the grower wanted (he couldn't get the help when he needed to harvest). I think that the acid is finally low enough that it won't be an issue when we bottle it, since it already went great with dinner.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
countrygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegofan View Post
AlFuchino--Actually, the 5 gallon carboy was at 32 F for two weeks, only the 1.5 L bottle was out for 8 hours, and it already had what may have been wine diamonds in it, so I think it had already precipitated.
since i've learned smaller vessels can ferment faster, would they also precipitate acid faster? just wondering.

Quick Reply