Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Making from Grapes > Frontenac Grape Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
midwestwine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Frontenac Grape Recipe

Has any one made wine from Frontenac grapes and have a good recipe -what yeast used,how long to keep the skins in and did you do mlf

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Liked 508 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I don't have what you call a recipe, but I made 160 gallons of it last year and should double that this year. My yeast of choice for it is Lalvin 71B-1122 or Red Star RC-212. 71B eats up some of the acid making it easier to start malo when it is time. Use straight juice at around 25-26 brix and hopefully TA under 1.4 g/L which isn't always possible. Ferment on the skins for 7-10 days until almost dry and press. I innoculate at that time and find Lalvin MBR-31 to be a good fit. It will work with a bit higher acid than most and imparts a lot of vanilla. Feed the mlb and stir every few days. By the way- do not add k-meta after a small initial dose right after crush and let it sit for 24 hours then pitch the yeast. This is so you can do a malolactic fermentation on it.

You can add a bit of interest with a nice light oaking, and many people like this one slightly sweetened, but don't use sorbate after the mlf. If you can't sterile filter, forget sweetening. Another option is to fortify it and make a port style wine with it.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.
weaverschmitz Likes This 
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Racer
Future vineyard owner

Grapeman have you found 71B-1122 to contribute anything to the wine or does it seem to be a "neutral" yeast regarding flavor/aroma. I'm looking to try and work with some different yeasts to help tame some of the high acidity in frontenac gris and la crescent that I have growing.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
winemaker_3352
Super Moderator

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 32

It does tend to give more of a fruity aroma.

I made 2 strawberry batches - one used Lavlin D47 the other Lavlin 71B 1122 - and i could definitely tell a difference in the aromas during fermentation.

Thanks,

Jon - My Wine List

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
midwestwine

Thanks grapeman that is exactly what i wanted to know.

Matt

Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Liked 508 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I agree with winemaker. It does tend to bring out fruitiness and I find Frontenac has quite a bit of it along with other things, so why not bring it out more?

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Fuegofan

Hello,

I'm a complete novice in the process of making my first wine, which is with Frontenac grapes. It's going well so far, though the speed has taken me by surprise. Harvest was September 4. Crushing/destemming happened September 5. At that time some potassium metabisulfite was added. The Brix were at 24. I got it home. By that evening, for some unknown reason, it had already started bubbling, so I got my RC-212 going and added it in the morning. By September 9 the Brix were down to 8 or 10, if memory serves, so I added the Leoconostoc. By September 11 I could hardly detect bubbling, so on the morning of the 12th I pressed it into carboys. Indeed, the Brix are now at about 2, specific gravity at 1.006. Now I´m looking at the future and thinking, when does the oaking happen? I've bought oak chips, but do they get added before, during, or after cold stabilization?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Racer
Future vineyard owner

Oaking the wine can be done at anytime during the wine making process. It will make a difference though depending on when you add the oak. If it's put in at the start the oak will be less pronounced (or more integrated in the wine). If the oak is added later in the process or added during aging you will more easily smell and taste the oak.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Fuegofan

Thanks, Racer.

I've added the oak now, during the secondary fermentation. After two weeks, the 6.5 gallons of wine taste/feel a bit buttery, which I must admit is a little weird. It's still pretty tart. I'm thinking of leaving the oak in for another two weeks before racking it off the lees and putting it in the basement for the winter.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
countrygirl

i'd like t revive this post for two reasons...i'd like to know how this wine has turned out
and
i'd also like to ask grapeman about his trellis system for frontenac.
i read a minnesota blog (or whatever it was, lol) about one style of system having less acid? i still have alot to learn about trellis systems. thanks for any info

**i find wine improves with age...the older i get, the better i like it***

Quick Reply