WineMakingTalk Wineglasses - Get them before the Holiday Rush!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > General Wine Making Forum > Cork leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
MoneyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cork leaking

One of my bottles I just corked is leaking a couple of drops of wine from around the cork. Advice? I suppose I could just open that bottle and drink it. There is a small amount of cork sticking out of the bottle. Maybe too much head room.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
BettyJ

What type of corker are you using? You also may have excess gas / renewed fermentation in the wine, which is pushing the cork out. Did you back-sweeten the wine? If so, did you use sorbate?

Using shrink wrap toppers will help to secure the cork. But I usually don't apply or turn my wine over for 3 - 5 days to make sure the corks don't pop (can you say messy?).

At this point, you can try uncorking the wine, tasting it (for carbonation), perhaps top up with a little water or like wine and re-cork if you want to age it further.

Just a note about the corker: I used the hand corker model initially and could never get the corks all the way in (although they rarely ever popped out for this reason). I splurged on the Portugese (sp?) floor model and it is a beautiful thing - just love it!

Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Tom
Original Senior Moderator

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
One of my bottles I just corked is leaking a couple of drops of wine from around the cork. Advice? I suppose I could just open that bottle and drink it. There is a small amount of cork sticking out of the bottle. Maybe too much head room.
I'm betting you did not let them sit upright after they were corked. Leave it upright for a day or 2.
Was it a real cork or synthetic?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
djrockinsteve
Super Moderator

Liked 93 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Real corks may leak slightly within a few days that's why you should leave your bottles upright (as Tom said) for a week before shelfing. Normacorc's can be shelfed right away.

People say how fast time flies when you are engaged. Just wait till your married. See how fast it flies then.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Runningwolf
Super Moderator

Liked 1426 Times on 1008 Posts
Likes Given: 981

DJ..keep those signitures coming, they're funny as all get out. I agree with what Tom and DJ said and I would drink that bottle ASAP.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
MoneyGuy

Some answers: Yes, I did have the bottles sit upright (for five days). I use a floor-model corker. It doesn't have a name on it but it's Portugese-made, about two feet high to the bottom of the handle, and the handle is about another foot-plus so another three feet high or so. All of the corks protrude from the bottle by about three-8ths of an inch. None of the others are leaking yet, but I have noticed there are some very small bubbles in most of the bottles; is this a sign of fermentation happening? I did follow the directions correctly for leaving it to de-gas, in fact left it longer than the directions indicated. All of the bottles are on their side now.

I didn't sweeten the wine. The bottles are not shrink wrapped. I used real corks, not synthetic ones.

Advice, anyone?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Tom

If they were not pushed in all the way then you need to adjust the plunger. If you did have them in all the way then uncork and let it fininh fermenting. Did you degas? Remind us what you did up to this point from the begining.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
MoneyGuy

Yes, I did degas. It was racked twice and sulfite used. It was stirred as directed. Maybe I'll have to uncork all the bottles, stir a bit more and recork?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Tom

is it "fizzy"?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
MoneyGuy

Not sure what you mean by fizzy. There are no fizzing sounds. In addition to the large air bubble there are little bubbles, however.

Quick Reply