Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > What if I accidentially added too much yeast nutrient?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Poormanfarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default What if I accidentially added too much yeast nutrient?

I am thinking that I may have added too much yeast nutrient to a muscadine recipe a few days ago. Instead of adding 5 tsp to a 5 gallon batch, I may have added 5 tbs. Is this going to ruin my batch? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
dralarms

Liked 282 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 430

I don't think so, I've done it and mine turned out fine.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
djrockinsteve
Super Moderator

Liked 83 Times on 70 Posts

Don't add any more. You should be fine. Stir it often.

People say how fast time flies when you are engaged. Just wait till your married. See how fast it flies then.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Minnesotamaker
Pee Meister

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

If your nutrient is urea based, be aware that excess levels of urea in a finished wine can react with the alcohol to form Ethyl Carbamate, a carcinogen. Search the web for Ethyl Carbamate and you'll find lots of information.

-- Lon
www.skeeterpee.com
"Like" it on facebook = www.facebook.com/drink.skeeter.pee

Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Poormanfarm

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotamaker View Post
If your nutrient is urea based, be aware that excess levels of urea in a finished wine can react with the alcohol to form Ethyl Carbamate, a carcinogen. Search the web for Ethyl Carbamate and you'll find lots of information.
I used Di-Ammonium Phosphate. Maybe this batch will turn into Christmas gifts for next Christmas

Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
robie

Liked 186 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poormanfarm View Post
I used Di-Ammonium Phosphate. Maybe this batch will turn into Christmas gifts for next Christmas
If what Lon wrote doesn't happen, you probably didn't add enough to change the taste of your wine. Most of it will drop out as sediment. Likely you won't ever know the difference. I would rack off it as soon as fermentation is complete and don't leave the wine in extended secondary any longer than it takes to get fermentation completed.

The other problem with too much nutrient is you might start feeding other critters besides your good yeast. I don't think I would let this wine clear on its own; I would use clarifiers.

Robie

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Poormanfarm

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have already racked it ( after 8 days in the fermenter). That was about 2 weeks ago. It is in the secondary now and starting to clear up a little. Looks ok so far. I think I am going to rack it fairly often while it is clearing. If anyone has any other advise I am open. Thanks for the response.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
robie

Quote:
I have already racked it ( after 8 days in the fermenter). That was about 2 weeks ago. It is in the secondary now and starting to clear up a little. Looks ok so far. I think I am going to rack it fairly often while it is clearing. If anyone has any other advise I am open. Thanks for the response.
If it is in secondary, you are saying it is still fermenting, right? Once fermentation is complete, if you are not going to do an MLF, the wine should be racked, stabilized with Kmeta, then allowed to clear either with added clarifiers or on its own.

Once clearing starts, I would not rack for 3 to 4 weeks. Don't rack again until you see a sediment buildup. Every time you rack, you are introducing oxygen and you also will end up having to top off again. So, don't rack more often that is necessary.

Robie

Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Poormanfarm

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Robie,
Yes, It is still fermenting. It is starting to clear a just a little at the top of the carboy. Thanks for the info

Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
robie

Quote:
Robie,
Yes, It is still fermenting. It is starting to clear a just a little at the top of the carboy. Thanks for the info
If it is still fermenting, it wouldn't be starting to clear. The CO2 would be causing lots of sediment/lees to boil up from the bottom, so I don't quite understand.

Is it still bubbling off CO2?
Is it under an air lock?
Have you taken a specific gravity reading lately? What is it now?
Sorry if I seem a little confused.

Just because bubbles are still coming out of the wine doesn't mean it is fermenting. CO2 bubbles can continue to rise for several weeks until it is degassed.

Robie

Quick Reply