Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Sediment in my wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
turkeyhunr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sediment in my wine

After bottling my first batch of wine, I have noticed sediment in my wine. I tried to keep the siphon off the bottom and actually threw out sediment after the first racking. I ran it through a paint funnel from Sherwin Williams and a coffee filter into a bucket before I bottled it. When you pick up a bottle and hold it up to the light, you can see sediment floating around in my bottles. Hmmmm?? Wonder what I did or didn't do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Tom
Original Senior Moderator

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

need more info,
what is it
when did you start it and what gravity
how many X did you rack
finning agents
when did you bottle ( time wise)

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
GreginND

Liked 500 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 191

How long did you let it age? My wines never get bottled before at least 6 months and sometimes not for two years. And they get racked several times. Paint funnels and coffee filters will not remove all the sediments and particles can continue to form and drop out of wine for quite a while. There are methods for clarification if you are in a hurry. Personally I tend to use time rather than additives for clearing. Many of us use filters in the end to really get the wine sparkling clear. There are plate filters available for home winemakers. With a vacuum pump some of us use a whole house water filter setup to filter wine.

4 Elements Winery
Earth - Fire - Water - Air

http://4elementswinery.com
http://facebook.com/4elementswinery

Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
JohnT
Oeno-sapien

Liked 1174 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 467

I agree with Greg.

If you need to use filters at the time of bottling, then you are bottling too soon. The wine should be dead clear before it goes into the bottle. You can achieve this with 2 or 3 racking and lots of time.

If the wine was clear at the time of bottling, then there are a whole host of other issues to address (PH? Active Yeast? Residual Sugar? Storage Conditions?)

May we live as long as we want, but never want as long as we live.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
turkeyhunr

It was a wine kit that we used and we went by the instructions and bottled it on day 30 like it said. SG readings were right where they said they were suppose to be. Wine wasn't perfectly clear I didn't think but it was a 30 day kit. It was the first one we tried so now I'll know to just let it clear for longer next time.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
GreginND

Liked 500 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 191

In my opinion kit instructions tend to rush the process too much.

4 Elements Winery
Earth - Fire - Water - Air

http://4elementswinery.com
http://facebook.com/4elementswinery

jswordy Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Simpsini

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree with Greg. I like to do kit wines and they produce very good wine, but sometimes you have to use your observations and taste buds to finish with a good wine. Try and let your wine rest in the carboy for a month or two and let gravity take over. I believe that after your 10th or 11th kit you'll not be in a rush to bottle. This is a great hobby.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
turkeyhunr

That's good advice!! I've filtered a couple of times before I bottled and filters were clear and no debre in them but the bottles show it in the bottom. Kinda embarrassing when you give bottles to your friends to try your wine and if looks like you gave them pond water. Hmmm, my next batch will definately stay in clearing for additional weeks. One question, when you think it's ready to bottle, rack it to another carboy or bucket and then bottle?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
vacuumpumpman
Vendor
WMT_SPONSOR.png

Liked 185 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I agree with everyone on this topic - let it stay in the carboy longer till it clears on its own. Then once you can see thru it - you can filter it, not before.
Remember those are only suggested guidelines -

Thanks Steve

http://allinonewinepump.com/

Like us on Facebook !

Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
wineforfun
WAWS President

Liked 177 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyhunr View Post
That's good advice!! I've filtered a couple of times before I bottled and filters were clear and no debre in them but the bottles show it in the bottom. Kinda embarrassing when you give bottles to your friends to try your wine and if looks like you gave them pond water. Hmmm, my next batch will definately stay in clearing for additional weeks. One question, when you think it's ready to bottle, rack it to another carboy or bucket and then bottle?
Just remember, assuming it is just some very fine sediment, that it isn't going to hurt the wine. I have had this happen too, and it has been from bottling it early on, like others have said. You can also just let the bottle sit upright prior to drinking and alot of the sediment will fall to the bottom. In the end, unless you are making competition wine, a little sediment will be just fine.

D.J.

People Like This 

Quick Reply