What a walking library of information you are!
Thanks for your advice and the link!
The air lock on my little one gallon batch of hard apple cider is now 'pooking' away about once every 7 or 8 seconds, or so.
I warmed part of the juice and added a heaping cup of cane sugar. After mixing it all back together, and cooling it down, the OG was 1.074.
I pitched 1 tsp of baker's yeast three different times at eight hour intervals before I started seeing activity. The third time was, as they say, the charm. I then added a pinch of nutrient, and Viola, it is off and running!
I'll do another SG test on day 7.
Thanks again for the help.