WineMakingTalk Wineglasses - Get them before the Holiday Rush!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Fruit flies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
banannabiker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Fruit flies

I have heard lots of bad things about fruit flies, and the DO seem to magically appear around anything with wine in it. I recently found one floating in the top of my primary, and just wanted to know when the flies actually become a problem for the wine. One fly in the primary doesn't seem like a problem-but is it? How do they ruin the wine-thruough bacterial action-dying and decaying...what is it that they do that is the real problem, so I know what to watch out for.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Liked 559 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Fruit flies carry acetobacter bacteria on their feet. This is the bacteria that can cause vinegar to form. One fly usually is not cause for alarm. As soon as you can, get the proper sulfites in the wine after fermentation has finished and it will keep the bacteria from multiplying and causing a problem. Those who do not sulfite at all are more at risk for vinegar formation.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Turock

Liked 457 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It takes more than one. But be aware that if you don't kill them off, you'll ALWAYS have them as they reproduce like crazy. We set out wine for them in a shallow container until we've got them all killed and see no more of them. They are a real problem as they even hang around a container of meta water and get into it at bottling time. Get them killed for sure.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
robie

Liked 189 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I heard a report from a pro in Napa that these flies sometime lay their larvae around the outside of a bung, so they will fall into the wine when the bung is opened. A quick visual inspection can prevent this.

Robie

Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
winemaker_3352
Super Moderator

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
I heard a report from a pro in Napa that these flies sometime lay their larvae around the outside of a bung, so they will fall into the wine when the bung is opened. A quick visual inspection can prevent this.
Nasty a** flies. Good info robie - did not even think about that..

Thanks,

Jon - My Wine List

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
non-grapenut
Fruit Fears Me

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemaker_3352 View Post
Nasty a** flies. Good info robie - did not even think about that..
I know I will get some boos and hisses from the forum, but Saturday night I had some unexpected company over when I was racking some wine. I put the carboy on the ground and forgot about it overnight with the lees left in it. I'll be darn if all my fruitflies aren't gone! Just for good measure, I covered the carboy with saran wrap and poked a few holes in it throughout Sunday. I normally am OCD about cleaning my freshly-racked carboys, but was interrupted and lost my winemaking mojo...drinking wine at the time didn't help, I am sure!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Runningwolf
Super Moderator

Liked 1437 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
I have witnessed this!

Dan

It all started here...See what's happening in my cellar!

Presque Isle Wine Cellars Web Site for all your Wine Making Supplies
"Like" Presque Isle Wine Cellars on Facebook

Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
stevenstead

Likes Given: 8

Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I'm having similar issues.

When I took the cloth from the top of the fermenting bucket to stir, I saw a couple of fruit flies dive in to the liquid. They were quick! How do you guys stop this happening?

Same again when taking readings, bungs are out, lids are off. I'm being as careful as possible but it seems they love wine more than me. Straining the pulp out was the same thing, the wine is open to the elements for quite some time and would love to know what you guys do.

Lastly, what about oxygen during stirring, straining, taking readings, tasting, racking etc? I'm on tenderhooks as to whether to do anything in case I spoil the wine. I used campden tablets for the first fermentation, and I will use one again when racking but is this enough?

Absolute lastly, if the flies carry the bacteria on their feet, why is important to not let any eggs in there?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Steve.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
joeswine
joeswine

Liked 343 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default fun with flies

On the other hand fun with flies is very interesting,sometimes when this event raises its ugly head ,i play a game with the flies,i get out my shop vac (5hp) with hose and lye in ambush,waiting for the pry to a lite upon the quarry only to be sucked in to my vortex,in some cases they do not succeed,in other its a waiting game,but i shall always prevail ,when the swarm takes flight,

Last edited by joeswine; 08-30-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
JohnT
Oeno-sapien

Liked 1365 Times on 909 Posts
Likes Given: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenstead View Post
Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I'm having similar issues.

When I took the cloth from the top of the fermenting bucket to stir, I saw a couple of fruit flies dive in to the liquid. They were quick! How do you guys stop this happening?

Same again when taking readings, bungs are out, lids are off. I'm being as careful as possible but it seems they love wine more than me. Straining the pulp out was the same thing, the wine is open to the elements for quite some time and would love to know what you guys do.

Lastly, what about oxygen during stirring, straining, taking readings, tasting, racking etc? I'm on tenderhooks as to whether to do anything in case I spoil the wine. I used campden tablets for the first fermentation, and I will use one again when racking but is this enough?

Absolute lastly, if the flies carry the bacteria on their feet, why is important to not let any eggs in there?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Steve.

What I try to do is kill off the fruitflies. I like to create "fruit fly traps". (take a 2 liter soda bottle, cut the top 1/3 off to form a funnel. Pour some wine or must into the bottom portion, and insert the top portion (neck side down). The result is a perfect flytrap. the buggers fly in, but can't find a way out and end up drowning).

By killing or removing the flies, you will have no problem. Even if there are a few that remain, this should not be a big deal.

Sanitation is important. You do seem to worry a lot, though. Without the use of k-meta, there are very few forms of bacertia that can exist in wine that can hurt things. If you are using k-meta, and at the proper levels, you should have nothing to fear from bacteria.

May we live as long as we want, but never want as long as we live.

stevenstead Likes This 

Quick Reply