Take the Survey - Enter to Win WMT Wineglasses!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > jack keller's recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
pmdbama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default jack keller's recipes

i've noticed that a lot of new guys (such as myself) get referred to jack keller's website for fruit wine recipes, but at the same time, most people here recommend 5-6 lbs of fruit per gallon yield. jack's recipes usually call for less than that.

i used jack's 3rd recipe for strawberry wine (going slightly over) meaning I used 18 lbs strawberries and 2 lb raisins for a 5gal batch. i'm wondering now if i should add a few pounds more while she's fermenting away? i was planning on adding 2-4 lbs later as a back sweetener to make it semi-sweet.

or am i just missing something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
JasonH

Jack's site and his recipes are great. I use them as a guideline for all my wines. Still, it just makes sense that if you want more fruit flavor you should use more fruit per gallon. One thing I like about this site is that the people here really strive to make great wines and that usually means adding more fruit per gallon. I have made strawberry in the past and would suggest you use 6 lbs a gallon to really concentrate the flavor. My last batch was 5 lbs per gallon and it was good, but it could of been better.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Tom
Original Senior Moderator

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Jack's recipes are low in flavor and high in alcohol. Personally I would not use them and here's why.
He does NOT tell you what the starting gravity s/b. Just add sugar blindly.
He does NOT tell you to ck the TA.. Just add acid blend
just t name a few.
Always know what gravity you want. For fruit wines no higher than 1.085. ALL of his are 12%+. Using that the alcohol will over power the fruit.
Ck here 1st and you will make a great Fruit wine.
Raisins will help in body but you need more than 3#'s of Strawberry per gal. In fact Strawberry I suggest 6-8# per gal as its light in flavor and high in water.. You will also want to make a F-Pac. ( do a search here for that) and back sweeten. Both or which Jack does not mention.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Goodfella

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with everything Tom said.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
pmdbama

that's what i figured. well, off to use the boiling off method to figure out o.g. then i'll get back you guys. there's a fix somewhere.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Tom
Original Senior Moderator

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

add as much#'s you started with. Go to Sams and pick up 2 bags (frozen)

Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
BobF
Banned

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Jack's recipes are low in flavor and high in alcohol. Personally I would not use them and here's why.
just t name a few.
Always know what gravity you want. For fruit wines no higher than 1.085. ALL of his are 12%+. Using that the alcohol will over power the fruit.
Raisins will help in body but you need more than 3#'s of Strawberry per gal. In fact Strawberry I suggest 6-8# per gal as its light in flavor and high in water.. You will also want to make a F-Pac. ( do a search here for that) and back sweeten. Both or which Jack does not mention.
If you read all of the articles on keller's site, instead of just looking at recipes, you'll see that using a hydro to get to your desired SG and acid testing to get to your desire acid level are highly recommended bu keller.

He also explains things like sulftite (campden) use, which isn't always mentioned in the recipes.

That's one of the things I really like about his site. As difficult as it is to navigate, if you take in all of his site's content, you'll understand the why behind what goes into recipes.

OTOH, you can just follow the recipes and get decent wine.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
pmdbama

alright. i used the boiling off calculator and the ext abv is 14.9. I'm not happy.

i'm rethinking adding more berries to the recipe, because that'll only add more sugar and the abv is already higher than i'd like.

i may just resort to topping off using f-pack at the end to add body and flavor. what do you guys think (looks like i'm gonna loose quite a bit after first racking. a lot of lees at the bottom)

Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Wade E
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 239 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you add more fruit and more water or just fruit youll be creating more volume which will bring the gravity down.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
Luc
Dutch Winemaker

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
just t name a few.

I agree with most of this statement but not all.
I am not here to defend jack, as he is quite capable of doing that himself. However....

The point is that people just go to jack's site and scavenge recipes and do not read the rest of his site.
That is the same reason why I don't want my recipes be placed on this and any other forums.
Jack (just like me) has a method for winemaking. And if you do not follow that method and just take out the recipe, the wine will not be like it was meant to be.

Jack's wines are high in alcohol (12% up) if you just examine the recipe. However on his website he advocated racking each wine at least 4 times. When filling up this will lower the alcohol to the meant 11%.

On my site I always give you the recipe AND the way it was made and calculated so you can adjust it to your own fruit quality.
If you just take out the recipe, my wines could also disappoint you easily.

About the amount of fruit used: I can concur with that.
In my opinion most wines are made with a too low fruit count.
Think cider made from pressed apples and not dilluted. Think grapewine. No winery in his good mind will water down grapejuice.

Take your fruit. Sample the pure juice and adjust with water, acid and sugar in function of the quality of the juice.

Remember most recipes water down and then have to add acid to bring the acid level up.
I advocate to measure the pure juice and then water down as much as needed to bring acid to an acceptable level. That will give you a more full bodied wine and you will not have to add raisins to create the body.

My next web-log story will for example be on blackberries. My blackberry juice measured an acidity of 8.
You just have to water the amount of juice down with a quart of the volume to get an acidity of 6.
That will give you a far better wine as when just taking a volume of berries and water down and then add acid again.

Take your pick.

Luc

Last edited by Luc; 08-23-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Quick Reply