Happy Thanksgiving - Wineglass Giveaway!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Banana wine - peels or no peels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
wood1954
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

so the big question is, does banana wine taste good or is it just cheap to make. the smaller question is, do you backsweeten it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
BernardSmith

Liked 260 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I have no idea what banana wine tastes like. I see that there is a tradition of making wine from bananas in East Africa and I am curious to know what that wine might taste like. I see that some of the more traditional methods of making such wines involve a great deal of chance in areas (such as mine) where such wines may be rather rare, so I am planning on making use of more modern techniques where I have more control and where there will be less risk of bacterial spoilage.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
wineon4

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have made Banana wine often. Last year I made a 30 gallon batch and this year a 10 gallon batch. I enjoy it, looks like a Chardonnay and taste like it, also along with a wisp of nice mild Banana flavor. My last years vintage received a Silver at Pittsburgh's Wine Completion, 3rd bottle from the right in my avatar. I deviate from most Banana recipes, as they call for using the peels and cooking the Bananas, I peel them then liquefy them in a blender along with some white grape juice. I think it is a very nice wine.

Work a necessary evil, Hunting enjoyment, Winemaking priceless, Wine drinking En-lightenment ( WINEONTHEFLOOR)

Last edited by wineon4; 07-05-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
Deezil

Liked 316 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 534

If you let the banana peels turn black before you use them, I promise you, it will both smell and taste of bananas. I cant vouch for yellow-peeled bananas. But black peeled bananas ? Oh my.. It's not just a "whiff", thats for sure

But because this is a mead AND a port... It'll be some years (5-8) before I really know how good it is

Sounds like wineon4 might have been speaking of yellow-peeled bananas, because there's no way what's on my winemaking table is anything like a Chard

Manley

Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
wineon4

Made 6 gallon last evening. A local food service gave me 80lb of over ripe Bananas. I peeled them, then pureed them in a blender. the 80lb made 6 gallon of Banana wallpaper paste, added only enough water to melt the sugar. Hope to rack out about 4 gallon when all is said and done. I have had judges tell me that the wine made with peels has an oily feel in the mouth, I can't say because I have never used the peels. I have 20lb frozen maybe I will make a gallon with them using the peels and compare to my collection of Banana. Yeah I have a nice collection of Banana in bottles as it is one of my favorite fruit wines

Work a necessary evil, Hunting enjoyment, Winemaking priceless, Wine drinking En-lightenment ( WINEONTHEFLOOR)

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
wood1954

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

well, after reading all these posts i started 15 lbs of bananas about 12 days ago. So far i'd say it's going to turn out pretty good. It's under airlock now, i added too much sugar so had to add EC-1118 yeast to finish it off. I'm going to try another batch; this time without the peels and add one pound of sugar per 3 pounds of bananas. At 39 cents a pound this will be a good one to experiment with. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
vernsgal
Just me

Liked 587 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 1141

in my banana wine,no peel, I added a vanilla bean and apple concentrate in the secondary. It's been aging 6 mos. now am excited to give it a taste in another 3 mos.

Kim

Life is too short to Drink Bad Wine

Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #38
wineon4

verngal, vanilla bean sounds good I may pull out 1 gallon of my current batch and try it. I made 6 gallon of Maple wine( I tap trees and make my own Maple syrup) so this year I boiled 40 gallon of sap down to 6 gallon and made wine, I added 100% pure vanilla extract to it then some mulling spice and it is a great wine. I call it my breakfast wine to drink with pancakes in the morning. My Banana is going into the secondary this evening. I think it is getting to warm mid 90's in my area for the past week and now the banana cap has gone off and is now mixed through out the wine may need to strain it before transfering to the carboy. With this heat it went dry in 6 days. I have 100 lb of rhubarb and 70 lb black raspberries frozen ( need freezer space ) but may wait until it cools down around here.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #39
saramc
FeRmEnTaTiOn FaNaTiC

Liked 129 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have to share, on 10/1/12 I had started a banana port-style wine (banana port thread) with total OG of 1.122, D-47 yeast, and used the peels....and I sampled it this past weekend when I was giving it its quarterly k-meta dose & it is absolutely amazing. I had originally planned to fortify with banana-infused brandy but am reconsidering because it is crazy good as it is now, maybe I will do some port-style and some original.

Quick Reply