Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Equipment & Sanitation > How do I lubricate a Portuguese floor corker?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Chilled
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How do I lubricate a Portuguese floor corker?

I just bought a Portuguese floor corker that was a floor model with no box or instructions. It has a Ferrari sticker on it and is red. If someone has one of these or, is familiar with them I could use some help.

My questions are.
1. What is the best lubricant to use?
2. How/where do I lubricate it?
3. What is the best way to sanitize it.

Thanks for any answers you may provide.

__________________
Chilled is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
MNwino
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

You can get a food grade lubricant at places like Fleet farm. They use it on meat grinders and such for processing game. You can also try Searching on Amazon. Just make sure it says FOOD GRADE on it. You don't need much. I spray some into the iris and work it in and wherever their is moving parts You can sanitize it by just spraying some starsan on the iris or just take a clean cloth and put alittle bleach on it and wipe in the iris.

You want something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Products-Food-Grade-Lubricants/dp/B007OY6J5K/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367333275&sr=1-13&keywords=food+grade+lubricant

__________________

Last edited by MNwino; 04-30-2013 at 08:49 AM.
MNwino is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
JohnT
Oeno-sapien
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JohnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Exit 42, New Jersey
Posts: 4,925
Liked 1037 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 401

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwino View Post
You can get a food grade lubricant at places like Fleet farm. They use it on meat grinders and such for processing game. You can also try Searching on Amazon. Just make sure it says FOOD GRADE on it. You don't need much. I spray some into the iris and work it in and wherever their is moving parts You can sanitize it by just spraying some starsan on the iris or just take a clean cloth and put alittle bleach on it and wipe in the iris.

You want something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Products-Food-Grade-Lubricants/dp/B007OY6J5K/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367333275&sr=1-13&keywords=food+grade+lubricant

Bleach and anything related to wine .. do not mix!
__________________

May we live as long as we want, but never want as long as we live.

JohnT is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
MNwino
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Bleach and anything related to wine .. do not mix!
If you use just alittle and wipe it off it isnt going to hurt anything. I personally don't do that anymore but its not a big deal.
__________________
MNwino is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Runningwolf
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Runningwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edinboro, PA
Posts: 18,645
Liked 1223 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

I agree do not use bleech. You may get away with it for awhile but it'll catch up to you and besides thats the last place before going into the bottle. Thats a sure way tio get cork taint.
I will never use k-meta on my corker either. It's a great sanitizer but it's also very corrosive and is the very reason people have rust issues with their corkers. I spray mine with alcohol and then push a paper towel with a bit of alcohol on it through the corker.

Runningwolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
winemaker_3352
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winemaker_3352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 5,422
Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningwolf View Post
I agree do not use bleech. You may get away with it for awhile but it'll catch up to you and besides thats the last place before going into the bottle. Thats a sure way tio get cork taint.
I will never use k-meta on my corker either. It's a great sanitizer but it's also very corrosive and is the very reason people have rust issues with their corkers. I spray mine with alcohol and then push a paper towel with a bit of alcohol on it through the corker.
Yeah i do the same thing - Dan is not kidding about k-meta being VERY corrosive to metal.

I had a corkidor with tubing in it - I had a clamp on one of the hoses - from the fumes of the corkidor the metal in the clamp corroded away so bad there was hardly anything left of it.
__________________

Thanks,

Jon - My Wine List

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

winemaker_3352 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Jeff180
Junior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

1) I use mineral oil. You can find it in the pharmacy section as a laxative.

2a) Does yours look like this?
http://home.ms.metrocast.net/~thequest/repeat/redcorker4.jpg
Undo the 2 screws on top and remove the cover. Lightly lubricate the now-exposed springs and boxes. Also lube the hinge at the base of the handle. Wipe off any excess. DO NOT test the corker with the lid off - the springs could fly upwards.

2b) Most of the parts are already exposed though. So you might be able to lubricate with the lid on. Get the hinge, and the insides of those brown boxes that squeeze the corks. Then lower the handle a few times to work the oil in.

3) For sanitizing, I put a little on a paper towel and run it around the parts that'll touch the cork or bottle. Then dry off when I'm done corking.

__________________
Jeff180 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
JohnT
Oeno-sapien
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JohnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Exit 42, New Jersey
Posts: 4,925
Liked 1037 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 401

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemaker_3352 View Post
Yeah i do the same thing - Dan is not kidding about k-meta being VERY corrosive to metal.

I had a corkidor with tubing in it - I had a clamp on one of the hoses - from the fumes of the corkidor the metal in the clamp corroded away so bad there was hardly anything left of it.
And I also believe that bleach is just as corrosive.

MNwino, Even the tiniest amount of bleach is a bad thing.
__________________

May we live as long as we want, but never want as long as we live.

JohnT is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
djrockinsteve
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
djrockinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,784
Liked 79 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Both before and after use I take a paper towel sprayed with a little k meta solution. Wipe the jaws then roll up the towel and insert like a cork. Push it thru.

If you spray it you will want to thoroughly dry or inside will start to rust. I usually cover with a pillow case to keep dust off.

__________________

My birth certificate came with an expiration date.

djrockinsteve is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Chilled
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thanks for the helpful comments

Jeff180, Yes, that is the one I have.

I'll try to find some food grade lubricant. Sound like a good idea.
The alcohol for sanitizing sound good. Given a few minutes it should just evaporate away.

Thanks for all the help.

__________________
Chilled is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Portuguese floor corker Brian Equipment & Sanitation 19 12-27-2010 08:07 AM
Just broke in my new Portuguese Floor Corker Green Mountains Equipment & Sanitation 9 01-11-2010 08:34 PM
Portuguese Floor Corker Sacalait Equipment & Sanitation 6 11-23-2009 08:56 AM
Portuguese corker dwjk Bottles, Labels & Corks 3 12-07-2008 10:25 AM
indentations in corks with red Portuguese corker fiat84 Bottles, Labels & Corks 1 09-17-2008 03:14 PM