Take the Survey - Enter to Win WMT Wineglasses!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum > fertilizing grapes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
jtstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default fertilizing grapes

Has anyone ever fertilized their grape vines in their early years before they started to produce fruit to give them a jump start. If so what kind of fertilizer should I use

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
jeepingchick
**Domestic Goddess**

personally i would use and organic fertilizer ..or manuer (i spelled that wrong...)

i dont see anything wrong with fertilizing to get a larger yeild as long as you use stuff that is ok to eat.

Add me on FB http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/Nikki.Garland1

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Liked 521 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Unless your soil is extremely poor, you should not need to add any fertility the first couple years in Nebraska. If the vines are growing poorly, get a soil test done before just adding what may not be needed. Decades of indiscriminate phosphorous applications has led to an excess of it in the environment and a great deal of water pollution.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
jtstar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have extremely sandy soil here not sure why but last summer I had to redo my hyderant and after I got down about three it was all sand where I was digging. When I was weeding my vineyard this spring I was encorage to use Preen to help with the weed problem so I got to use it for the first time about a week ago on one row of the vineyard and then we got rain and I didn't get the other three rows done but when I got the other three row done this weekend I notice that the leaves where a darker green then three row that didn't get done so I have to think that they might have needed a little help.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
djrockinsteve
Super Moderator

Liked 92 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the beginning I used miracle grow and just small amounts. I squeezed off all shoots producing grape clusters to allow the vine to grow and for the development of deeper roots. Now on the third year I no longer fert. as the vines will grow and produce fewer grapes.

Any fert. now should be natural.

People say how fast time flies when you are engaged. Just wait till your married. See how fast it flies then.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
jtstar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Next year will be my third year with the vineyard and this is the first time that I have used any weed killer or fert. on it at all. I don't know what is harder waiting for the vines to produce grape or waiting for the wine that I mix up to be finished so I can drink it.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
djrockinsteve
Super Moderator

Liked 92 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have noticed a week ago many of my grapes are turning brown and shriviling up. With all the humidity I think it's a fungus among us. I sprayed them and hope it stops. I have many grapes this year compared to last year. Still having trouble knowing what will give me grapes next year.

It's a trial and learn basis. Their not for wine, just to eat.

People say how fast time flies when you are engaged. Just wait till your married. See how fast it flies then.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Wade E
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My freind had this same problem last year with them looking good and then just turning brown and shriveling up. I know nothing about growing rapes so dont take anything I say literal but last year was a very wet one for us so what you are saying could hold truth about being to wet and maybe causing some fungus or maybe its just to wet period. I noticed that I had some grapes growing in my bushes this year and they produced little babies but then just disappeared, dont think the birds would have eaten them this young as they were just as big as a pin head. I dont really care about them but just wondering, they are wild and I cut the heck out of them last year not knowing they were even grape vines as they have been there 10 years and never even seen a cluster or anything and they are all tangled up in some Forsythias.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
bruno

I am into my second year with 1500 new vines. Had the soil tested last year and the report noted that I lacked nitrogen and phosphorus. Added both last spring and this spring. The vines seems to be doing great this spring, of course we have had a lot of rain in the past month. Lots of grape buds developing which will have to be pruned.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Liked 521 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 66

The row that got the weed control should be greener, because the competition was removed. Early weed prevention is critical to get a vineyard established early and thriving. You can apply a small amount of a fertilizer per vine, but you don't want them too vigorous as then they may not harden off early enough this fall before winter. Ask Wade, I have pure sand at my place and the vines are plenty vigorous enough. I haven't fertilized them at all yet this year and may not. Here is a picture to show some growth.

001-medium-.jpg   005.jpg   027-medium-.jpg  

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Quick Reply