Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > General Chit-Chat > Cheap Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
ibglowin
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 673 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Now that is funny! I was hoping you didn't have to drink 600 bottles of Oak Leaf.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC Wines View Post
Bart, I too was buying Oak Leaf wines from Wallmart. At the time new empty wine bottles delivered to my door were $2.13 ea. Oak Leaf was $2.77 a bottle [full of wine, though CHEAP wine] . It was a no brainer, we were drinking 64 cent wine. Did use it to top off too. Now I have 600+ bottles of my wine I no longer need Oak Leaf, good thing too, they went to light weight "eco' bottles. Roy

Mike

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
BobF
Banned

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I tried a bottle or three of Barefoot CS a couple of years ago. Very rough. For the heck of it, I put a coupla bottles in the rack and forgot about them for a coupla years. Tried one a few weeks and was amazed how much it smoothed out - not bad at all.

Lately I've been on a [yellow tail] kick. The Shiraz is tasty and the Shiraz/Cab is even better. I picked an assorted case an added to the rack. I plan to check again at the 1 and 2 year points to see what happens.

I don't expect them to ever be $30+ wine, but very good for that 1/2 bottle every afternoon on the porch. Not that I've noticed $20+ worth of diff between a <$10 and a >$30 anyway. Maybe I just don't swish and gargle long enough to really appreciate the difference! ;-)

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
ibglowin
Super Moderator

The thing about TJ's is that is you find a wine you really like you better go back and buy a case immediately. Last year they had a TJ's Reserve Syrah from Paso Robles. It was $10.99 a bottle. This was EASILY a $25-30 bottle of Syrah. I bought a couple (must say I really liked the bottle at first sight, really massive) After trying one and seeing it was amazing I headed back the next time we were in Santa fe (a few weeks later) Bought half a case. Looked again a few months later to get another half a case and they were ALL GONE. Looked down in ABQ a month later, ALL GONE. Also wine that they do carry from year to year are not always as good the next year. It seems all to often that people find one that is an excellent buy and it gets snapped up. Then the next time around the wine has been bumped up in production amount but the quality went down the tubes as they say.

Mike

Disclaimer:

Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
BobF
Banned

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 20

In all the years (both of them) I've bought "Old Moon" it's been very consistent!!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
ibglowin
Super Moderator

There is a lot of "Old Moon" out there for sure. I used some myself for top up wine every once in a while. My favorite place to look up reviews and see what others are saying about wines that are found only at TJ's is Jason's Wine Blog

Mike

Disclaimer:

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Ernest T Bass

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

johnt - Very interesting article, enjoyed reading it until the end. So sorry about the falling-out with your family. I have witnessed that in my own family.
Semper Fi

Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
DirtyDawg10

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I've had a couple of less expensive wines that were OK. They were The Naked Grape - Pinot Grigio and Barefoot - Sauginon Blanc. I was using them to top up my first batch of wine and if I remember correctly the Barefoot was better. I also needed the bottles

Derek

Clearing: Apple wine
Clearing: RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan
Bottled: Cherry/Lemon/Lime Skeeter Pee
Bottled: WE Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot
Bottled: Quad Berry Skeeter Pee (Dragon's Blood)
Bottled: RJ Spagnonls Orchard Breezin Green Apple Gewurztraminer
Bottled: Advintage FC Collection Blanc de St. Vincent

Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Liked 1124 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC Wines View Post
Bart, I too was buying Oak Leaf wines from Wallmart. At the time new empty wine bottles delivered to my door were $2.13 ea. Oak Leaf was $2.77 a bottle [full of wine, though CHEAP wine] . It was a no brainer, we were drinking 64 cent wine. Did use it to top off too. Now I have 600+ bottles of my wine I no longer need Oak Leaf, good thing too, they went to light weight "eco' bottles. Roy

Yep, I still buy those wines. Oak Leaf is a Wal-Mart label. They make a Sweet Red that is a good top-off wine at a cheap price, mild flavored so will not alter your like wine in the carboy, plus all the usuals: cabs, chardonnay, merlot, zinfandel, etc. The zin has too much SO2 in it for my taste, but the others are drinkable and not awful.

Produced by THE WINE GROUP of Ripon, CA, which also makes several other brands like Bay Bridge, which is sold in groceries. Really all the same wine, I think, just house labeled for different stores. It's a fine inexpensive everyday wine, and the 'eco' bottles are just as good to refill as the heavier ones. I have reused and recorked mine many times.

Of late I have bought Rex Goliath at $5.99 and been pleased. They even offer a moscato, which is perfectly acceptable except it is not quite as intense as the more expensive brands. The Rex Goliath Chardonnay is good, and their cab is good, also. I have not tried the merlot yet.

There's a whole bunch of inexpensive wines that have been giving the high-priced stuff a run in the past few years. Lucky Duck imports wine from all over the world, for one, and you can get that at WM too.

Disclaimer: While I can tell the differences, I tend to be accepting of all wines, so if you are the picky type then your mileage may vary.

"If you successfully make what you like, even if it is (gulp) Welches, you are a good winemaker." - JohnT

Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Liked 1124 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by olusteebus View Post
I have never had chuck but I really enjoy winking owl from Aldi's. You may not have an aldi's in Huntsville but you may wish to check it out. winking owl is $2.97 a bottle! I like it much more than Five Oak
We do have two brand new ALDI's in Huntsville, but I don't know if they sell wine or not. Haven't been in, though I've been in the stores up North.

"If you successfully make what you like, even if it is (gulp) Welches, you are a good winemaker." - JohnT

Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
TxBrew
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 33

John did you get that from the House of Mondavi? I just started reading it last night. Good read so far.

Quick Reply