What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Iris Foch Syrah 2020, 2023

This is Black Iris (68% wild blackberries, 32% pitted wild cherries with Sheridan Syrah 2020 (salvaged from a burnt rubber nose from MLF gone awry) plus 2023 homegrown Marechal Foch ~8% Syrah, 5% Marechal Foch and about 73% Black Iris. I can make 2 cases of this as a house red which I will do. Here are my comments;

Appearance - inky purple

Nose - good wild cherry dominant

Tannin - good

Acid- good

Flavour - good, rich dark dry fruit wine which will age. Has a bottle of Bols cherry liqueur in it which is noticeable and gives it a really nice finish. I'll definitely make 2 cases of this and possibly as many as 4. This is balanced and tasty. I'll mix Foch and/or Regent in the future to make decent house reds from fruit that I grow or can pick in my neighbourhood.

I'll bottle it as Pacific Black Iris 2023
retaste blended 50/50 with Marechal Foch 2023 (organic homegrown, hand destemmed and uncrushed with RC212/71B yeast combo. Here are my comments:

Pacific Black Iris Foch 2023

Appearance - inky purple

Nose - good complex, wild cherry is less dominant than before. Now its like funky cherry.

Tannin - good

Acid- good

Flavour - good, rich dark dry fruit/grape fusion wine which will age. Has a bottle of Bols cherry liqueur in it which is slightly noticeable and gives it a really nice finish. I'll definitely make this again without the Syrah i.e. blackberries, wild cherries, dried elderberries, foch I'll also try it with some regent. This could kill with venison e.g. venison wellington, pot roast, bourguignon or stroganoff. Right now I rate it as good and can see it improving over time to good-very good because of the acid and tannin.

Marechal Foch 2023

organic homegrown, hand destemmed and uncrushed, in very nice dry condition, with RC212/71B yeast combo. SG 1.094 at harvest.
Here are my comments:

Appearance - inky purple

Nose - good complex, wild meat, cocoa, plums, leather, aniseed, cardamom

Tannin - good

Acid- slightly high but not by much (This received no chemical acid reduction e.g. potassium salts, calcium salt or acidex)

Flavour - this is decent. When it drops its acid in the bottle it should improve. Tannin and acid levels say that it can. 71B yeast seems to have improved it. Since I grow it I'll obviously make it again probably 3 ways 1) this way 2) blended with homegrown Regent 3) blended with wild black cherries-blackberries and dried elderberries with or without Regent and Bols Cherry liqueur. I rate it as "good". It should improve to "good-very good" as the acid level drops over time.

Found this buried in my cellar yesterday. My notes say it's 12% ABV and was bottled August 2013. I figured it would be undrinkable after 11 years. But it is excellent. Poured a glass for a neighbor without telling him what it was and his comment was "this is good stuff"! My last notes notes on this batch were in 2020 (7 years) and it was very smooth at that time. Corks used were Widgetco Bi-disc.

1716811111570.png

My son & I had margaritas while finishing cooking, then I sent him into the cellar to get a bottle. I knew what he'd grab -- my oldest McGregor:

black russian red.jpg

Unaerated, it actually tastes too young at 8 years old, the tannin is out of balance.

Aerated, the tannin is muted into balance and the fruit comes out. This one is a bit acidic -- not unpleasant but noticeable. I wish I had more of it!

My son & I had margaritas while finishing cooking, then I sent him into the cellar to get a bottle. I knew what he'd grab -- my oldest McGregor:

View attachment 112922

Unaerated, it actually tastes too young at 8 years old, the tannin is out of balance.

Aerated, the tannin is muted into balance and the fruit comes out. This one is a bit acidic -- not unpleasant but noticeable. I wish I had more of it!
Saperavi

"Quintessential Georgian variety producing deeply coloured, firm, initially tart but ageworthy reds."

from - Robinson, Jancis; Harding, Julia; Vouillamoz, Jose. Wine Grapes: A Complete Guide to 1,368 Vine Varieties, Including Their Origins and Flavours: A James Beard Award Winner (p. 2262). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Saperavi Festival in June 2024 in the Finger Lakes New York

Last edited:
Black Iris Foch Syrah 2020, 2023

This is Black Iris (68% wild blackberries, 32% pitted wild cherries with Sheridan Syrah 2020 (salvaged from a burnt rubber nose from MLF gone awry) plus 2023 homegrown Marechal Foch ~8% Syrah, 5% Marechal Foch and about 73% Black Iris. I can make 2 cases of this as a house red which I will do. Here are my comments;

Appearance - inky purple

Nose - good wild cherry dominant

Tannin - good

Acid- good

Flavour - good, rich dark dry fruit wine which will age. Has a bottle of Bols cherry liqueur in it which is noticeable and gives it a really nice finish. I'll definitely make 2 cases of this and possibly as many as 4. This is balanced and tasty. I'll mix Foch and/or Regent in the future to make decent house reds from fruit that I grow or can pick in my neighbourhood.

I'll bottle it as Pacific Black Iris 2023
retaste cold out of the fridge:

Appearance - inky purple

Nose - good wild cherry dominant but less intense than when it is warmer

Tannin - good - chilling it makes it softer

Acid- good cold

Flavour - This is very good cold. Closest thing to it is Dubonnet. This should be very good on the rocks (ice) on a hot summer's day. What an eye opener - a one of a kind fusion aperitif. Next I'll try it as a spritzer. When my wife and were first married we drank Dubonnet all of the time. This is just as good. A nice surprise!

Bottom line - try to minimize your pre-conceived ideas about winemaking. I've been doing this for 56 years and I'm still learning.........such as in the case of this wine. If your wines are technically well made but slightly out of whack then experiment with all of the ideas that you find on this website. e.g. I never ever used D47 yeast until last year based on recommendations from this site. I have 3 litres of tetra-pak apple juice fermenting on D47 to seed 7 pails, tomorrow afternoon (4 Australian Orange Muscat juice fresh) and (3 pails of Chilean Viognier juice fresh) to fruit bomb Washington Sheridan Chardonnay 2023 made from fresh grapes, fermented 3 ways V13 yeast, D47 yeast and 71B yeast i.e. Chardonnay Fleur d'Oranger 2023-2024 plus Chardonnay Viognier 2023-2024 plus Fleur d'Oranger 2024 and Viognier 2024.

Last edited:
Carol's Red 2020-2022

This is my wife Carol's house wine i.e. everyday red (I make it for her palate which is different than mine):

2020 - Washington Dineen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Sheridan Syrah

2021 - Dineen Cabernet Franc, Amador Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi Mettler Vineyard Petite Sirah

2022 - Marechal Foch, Regent (both homegrown)

My comments:

Appearance - purple

Smell - good, very complex, fruity, lingering

Tannin - really good (all grapes fermented uncrushed and hand destemmed)

Acid - very good (my wife is very sensitive to acid - the Lodi Mettler Petite Sirah drops the acid)

Flavour - this is rich and tasty without being too tangy or tannic. This is totally my wife's palate.

Carol's Red 2020-2022

This is my wife Carol's house wine i.e. everyday red (I make it for her palate which is different than mine):

2020 - Washington Dineen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Sheridan Syrah

2021 - Dineen Cabernet Franc, Amador Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi Mettler Vineyard Petite Sirah

2022 - Marechal Foch, Regent (both homegrown)

My comments:

Appearance - purple

Smell - good, very complex, fruity, lingering

Tannin - really good (all grapes fermented uncrushed and hand destemmed)

Acid - very good (my wife is very sensitive to acid - the Lodi Mettler Petite Sirah drops the acid)

Flavour - this is rich and tasty without being too tangy or tannic. This is totally my wife's palate.
Winemaker81 and I could have been great friends in person. Here we are great friends on the internet.

@Bmd2k1 asked about the FG of the Port I constructed in December 2022 from my fall 2021 wines. I reserved 3 bottles each of the 2021 Super Tuscan and Rhone Blend (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot) FWK Forte kits that spent a year in barrel. I say "constructed" as I took finished wine, fortified to 20% ABV with EverClear 151, and backsweetened to taste.

At bottling time I forgot to check the FG, so I did it tonight ... which was a good excuse to open a bottle.

Overall, the experiment is a success. I made one mistake in that I did not add glycerin, so the mouthfeel is good but not great; it coats the tongue, but not quite like a real Port. A notable difference is that real Port is made with specific Portuguese grapes, which I do not have access to. Use of Bordeaux and Rhone varietals grown in California makes a difference.

Positive results? The wine does not smell nor taste hot; I was concerned that the EverClear would produce an off aroma and/or taste. The varietals that went into this wine are a hodge-podge of Bordeaux and Rhone varietals, so there is no varietal character. It's difficult to explain what it tastes like, but IMO it's a good facsimile of a real Port.

I did not adjust the acid, and tasting now shows this was a good choice. However, I tend towards drier wines, so I backsweetened less than others might. If I added more sugar, then I might need to add more acid.

The wine was bottled in splits.

port.jpg

1716946042187.png

retaste:

Pinnacle of the Pacific 2020

This is 60% Washington Dineen Vineyard Cabernet Franc and 40% California Amador County Cabernet Sauvignon. Pinnacle is my designation for a Cabernet blend. Pacific is my designation for at least 2 vineyards on the west coast. This is hand destemmed, uncrushed and fermented with RC212, Amador for 18 days and Dineen for 21 days before pressing. Alcohol is 13.8%. I have 3 left. Here are my comments on this wine:

Appearance - clear, deep, dark purple red

Smell - figs, pomegranates, plums, chocolate, blueberries, black currants

Tannin - perfect

Acid - perfect

Flavour - this is delicious. Really rich and tasty with a long finish. I'll try to leave the last 3 alone for 3 to 5 years. I would make it again in a heartbeat.

This is Carol's Muscat Dry Auslese 2023 from a carboy in my cooler made from 27% Ortega, 55% Siegerrebe and 18% Reichensteiner homegrown organic at SG 1.093, 1.092 and 1.092 respectively with un-chaptalized juice, bentonite treated mid-ferment with 71B yeast and nutrient. Here are my comments on this wine:

Appearance - clear lemon yellow

Smell - very fragrant muscat similar to Gewurtztraminer

Tannin - fine

Acid - I thought it might be flat from malic acid conversion by 71B yeast but it isn't. Carol my wife says don't mess with it.

Flavour - this is delicious, the best one I've tasted in 10 years. I'll get 40 bottles. If it does go slightly flat I'll bottle 25 of those for Carol and 15 for myself spiked with a tiny bit of citric acid. I'm tempted to leave it until the end of the summer before tasting it again and then bottling it after I adjust the sulphite level and acid. I'll post an image as soon as I have one. The grapes were picked dry, hand destemmed and sorted, undamaged by wasps, mildew or botritis. Just for fun I mixed it 50/50 in a glass with California Chardonnay 2022 from Brehm frozen juice. That is also good with more acid, an interesting Chardonnay-Muscat nose and a good aftertaste. In future if I could I'd make all three 1) Carol's unacidified version 2) my acidified version 3) my version with Chardonnay e.g. Washington Sheridan vineyard Chardonnay in boxes.

retaste:

Appearance - slight fizz which disappears with 10 minutes in a glass, clear lemon yellow

Smell - very fragrant muscat similar to Gewurtztraminer

Tannin - fine

Acid - fine

Flavour - rich tasty dry muscat. This is really good. Acid is just high enough to balance it. It has a super long finish. The aftertaste is excellent and lingering. This is 100% homegrown organic Siegerrebe/Ortega Dry Auslese. I can't make this every year because my climate doesn't allow it. I'll save the last 7.5 bottles as long as they last without oxidizing even a tiny bit, because of the killer aftertaste.

This year I'll try to make a spatlese i.e. SG 1.083+ on juice or if I'm really lucky an auslese SG 1.093 (like this one) on juice. The aftertaste on the auslese is unbelievable!

Petite Pinnacle 2021, 2023

This is 25% Lodi Mettler Amarone style grapes from 2021 at sky high brix (SG 1.120, PA 16.0) blended with 75% Dineen Cabernet Sauvignon from 2023 at PA 14.0 to drop the alcohol of the petite sirah and improve the Cab flavour to PA 14.5%, both fermented with RC212 yeast and oaked with medium toast American cubes during MLF all grapes uncrushed and destemmed.

Here are my comments on this blend in a glass from my cooler:

Appearance - inky purple

Smell - good rich nose - black licorice, cocoa, plums, cigar box, tar

Tannin - good

Acid - good

Flavour - intense, rich. the Cab improves the Petite Sirah by giving it more balance. Should be good with pepper steak or osso buco. One word to describe this - ballsy. My wife Carol will enjoy it when the tannin drops in the next 2-3 years. She really likes Petite Sirah. The Petite Sirah is very intense even at this % level so I'll make some for her and my son-in-law who has the Petite Sirah and then bottle my remaining Cab on its own or spike it with 2024 homegrown Marechal Foch and/or Regent in whole or in part.
retaste:

Appearance - inky purple

Smell - good rich nose - black licorice, cocoa, plums, cigar box, tar

Tannin - good

Acid - good

Flavour - this my wife's premium red. rich, complex, not acidic, not too tannic i.e. her palate. This is very good, for her maybe excellent. I'm glad that I have 10 bottles of this as her premium red. She loves Petite Sirah flavour when the wines are balanced, and this is a balanced sky high brix Lodi Petite Sirah due to blending to drop the alcohol and raise the acid. My palate - this is really good and I am thrilled to have 11.5 of these.

Latest posts

Back